Wood type required to making 1:90 scale rigging blocks

Hi, I am building 1:90 scale Victory. At first I was planning buying the rigging blocks for it but changed my mind and now want to make them from scratch. My understanding is that the wood type is very important in achieving good results. In various sources I read that people use a boxwood. Looks like the boxwood is not available today. What are other types of wood that can be used for making these microscopic rigging blocks?

Hi, I am building 1:90 scale Victory. At first I was planning buying the rigging blocks for it but changed my mind and now want to make them from scratch. My understanding is that the wood type is very important in achieving good results. In various sources I read that people use a boxwood. Looks like the boxwood is not available today. What are other types of wood that can be used for making these microscopic rigging blocks?
The point is you're gonna need maybe 2 hundred blocks. Buy them all at Dry-Dock... you won't live enough to buld them all from scratch. Imho...

My understanding is that the wood type is very important in achieving good results. In various sources I read that people use a boxwood. Looks like the boxwood is not available today.

Boxwood is available i have about 1,800 pounds of West Indian Boxwood and Castillo which is not boxwood it is (Degame Lemonwood)
Your correct it is important what wood you choose you need something that is hard and machines well it also has to keep a clean sharp edge. you can also use natural pearwood it is also a hardwood and machines well. i have all three woods available.

to save on postage it is best to get pre cut square material example 5mm x 5mm or 8mm x 8 mm or whatever you need to cut out the blocks

The best wood I've seen is Swiss pear, but have no idea if it can be purchased in bulk, or how hard it is to work. I buy my blocks, (although small, mostly) from ModelExpo, the Beautiful Blocks, & I believe they're made from this type wood. They're the BEST I've ever used!

Rick1011

A seriously exhausting and tedious prospect! I agree, get them from Dry dock, a most accommodating and pleasant company to deal with, and reasonably priced. Their products are museum quality, in use at the U.S .Naval Academy museum workshop.
I mean, if you are up to the task, go for it. First be sure if that is where you want to put an inordinate amount of time. Is the model a scratch build? Do you need to say you made even the most tedious bits by hand?
I hope you won't put too many road blocks in the way of completing such a vast and noble undertaking. You are facing multiple challenging tasks ahead in order to build a project of this magnitude.:oops:

Last edited:
Pear makes really nice blocks. Hard but workable at small scales, and a nice natural color that is easily enhanced.
A good quality miniature drill press, adjustable x-y table, machinist's vice as well as a good miniature table saw with the best blade for ripping and slotting, and a good set of durable small drill bits will be essential. Micro-Mark has some of each in their catalog, but I am sure that the Talented craftsmen here can advise you better than I on this and other tips regarding your block making. there are also good instructions, methods and techniques available as to how to go about efficiently making your blocks. I am sure you can succeed given enough thought, planning and research into the project. There must be members on this forum with the experience, and almost surely a U-Tube video on the subject. In fact a good resource with clear instructions as to how to go about making your own blocks is
"Waterline Dioramas A Modelbuilder's Artform" by Justin F. Camarata, SeaWatch books, This book is a fascinating treasure trove of inspiring pictures, techniques and methods, including making believable sails. A valuable addition to any model shipwright's library.

Bon Chance, Pete

Last edited:
Hi, YT, here are some blocks I've made for my 1:75 Le Superbe. Made from boxwood [European], 4 mm, 6 mm, & 7 mm, plus two 13 mm shoe blocks [hand carved]. The stained ones are ready for using, the others need final shaping by file & abrasive cord. I use my MF70 to machine the blanks. I try to avoid 3 mm or less, as my fingers don't grip them very well [carpal tunnel]. Another reason to avoid 1:90 & smaller scales, hence my 'Santisima Trinidad' being for sale. Note the handy little tubs in the photo., very cheap & ideal for blackening small parts etc, & paint. The cap seals well, so far no caps have broken off. I have now got some ball-end cutters which will give the next batch a neater groove for the rope.
Stuart

IMG_5183.JPG

I use boxwood but also pear, apple, cherry is perfect. Maybe you can find a little piece of cherry furniture on the second hand market. I do that. Or an old piano, the black keys are made of African black wood. So perfect for the job.
I understand the will to make them by yourself. The fun doing things by yourself is so satisfying.

Back