Wooden ship? not quite

In the past I have built models of what were know on the Thames as skiffs. they were used to ferry passengers and some light goods. from early times and before the numerous bridges were built to cross the river a skiff rowed by a waterman was hired, much like a taxi is today.
even in my time skiffs were used by other river workers to get from the shore to the numerous wharves an moorings.
Built for ease of rowing and beamy to carry a good burden normally up to 4 passengers with one man rowing and up to 8 with a man and a boy on the oars.
This picture is of a waterman's skiff I built for a chum I worked with as a happy retirement. I put iy in a glass case as there is nothing worse than seeing dust build up on a model.
It was considered "bad form" to leave the paddles (oars) with the blades facing aft on the seats as passengers get wet backsides.
There was a thole in the gunwale roughly where the side benches finish so the oar loom could rest there and the handle or grip wedge under the thwart.

normal_100_3394.JPG

Back