working in garage

I converted an extra garage into my combination Workshop - Golf Simulator - Movie Theater man cave ...... or as my wife calls it, "My Mistress". I'm in Baton Rouge, and I added a split AC/Heater and some insulation in attic... I built up the floor to handle the putting green with 6 putting cups and the turf which gives my about an 11 on the stimp meter.... The screen is 17 x 11 and movie quality is amazing.
IMG_5392.JPG
Workbench, drill press, and fiber laser......IMG_5391 (1).JPG
IMG_5390.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG
Signed Hat collection of all past Masters Champions......
IMG_5388.JPG
Bench is clean in this photo, but gets messy when I have a project going on.....IMG_5387.JPG
Reclining theater seats and keg machine locked and loaded......Coke machine is a 1973 project I rebuilt...

I live in Idaho and as you can imagine, it gets cold in the fall/winter/spring. I have a 3 car garage that serves as my shop. I use it for woodworking and ship building primarily. I installed a Lennox garage heater to keep it toasty. This was after using space heaters for awhile.
IMG_2123.JPGIMG_1480.JPGIMG_1251.JPG

20200817_152131.jpgDSCN0176.JPGNuestra_740.jpgNuestra_741.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Idaho and as you can imagine, it gets cold in the fall/winter/spring. I have a 3 car garage that serves as my shop. I use it for woodworking and ship building primarily. I installed a Lennox garage heater to keep it toasty. This was after using space heaters for awhile. View attachment 408521View attachment 408522View attachment 408523View attachment 408524View attachment 408525View attachment 408527View attachment 408528
I really like that scissor lift...what a great idea....

I live in Idaho and as you can imagine, it gets cold in the fall/winter/spring. I have a 3 car garage that serves as my shop. I use it for woodworking and ship building primarily. I installed a Lennox garage heater to keep it toasty. This was after using space heaters for awhile. View attachment 408521View attachment 408522View attachment 408523View attachment 408524View attachment 408525View attachment 408527View attachment 408528
and your little buddy guarding everything! :)

MIne is in a bedroom. But I also use my garage for the messy things like sanding and cutting. +25 C to below freezing during winter months. Probably hard on the tools...

I live in Idaho and as you can imagine, it gets cold in the fall/winter/spring. I have a 3 car garage that serves as my shop. I use it for woodworking and ship building primarily. I installed a Lennox garage heater to keep it toasty. This was after using space heaters for awhile.
View attachment 408521View attachment 408522View attachment 408523

View attachment 408524View attachment 408525View attachment 408527View attachment 408528
I love your garrage - enough space, lot of tools, a little bit messy - somebody is working there and you can see this
Great
I really like that scissor lift...what a great idea....
I think Phils scissor lift is handmade (or?) but you can also use a light bike lift for the same way (make a google research and you will find light ones already for 100 or 150 Euros.
They are very helpful for masting and rigging works, when the model has to be on a lower level
This is mine

Something else:
Looking at @Philski and @Corsair photos with your pets I once more wonder, if we should open an extra topic in "The shipbuilders Life"-area .
A lot of us have animal friends in and around our workshops - we all know the Olhas cat (@shipphotographer.com ) and often we see a cat or dog in the postings..... just an idea ..... these our friends are part of our daily life and also often part of our modeling time, f.e. chewing a wooden frame or playing guitar with the standing rigging .....

I love your garrage - enough space, lot of tools, a little bit messy - somebody is working there and you can see this
Great

I think Phils scissor lift is handmade (or?) but you can also use a light bike lift for the same way (make a google research and you will find light ones already for 100 or 150 Euros.
They are very helpful for masting and rigging works, when the model has to be on a lower level
This is mine

Something else:
Looking at @Philski and @Corsair photos with your pets I once more wonder, if we should open an extra topic in "The shipbuilders Life"-area .
A lot of us have animal friends in and around our workshops - we all know the Olhas cat (@shipphotographer.com ) and often we see a cat or dog in the postings..... just an idea ..... these our friends are part of our daily life and also often part of our modeling time, f.e. chewing a wooden frame or playing guitar with the standing rigging .....
I do clean it up from time to time. All my major machines/tools are on castors (wheels) to allow me to roll in and out as I need and I get a lot of room to work.

The lift I have my wife bought at Harbor Freight store. I modified it by adding a plywood top to serve as a table. It really helps and keeps me from getting tired arms reaching up to tie rigging on the masts.

I've had dogs in my lifealmost all the time. Some cats too. Great friends!Screenshot_20231122-065626_Gallery.jpg

View attachment 408524View attachment 408525View attachment 408527View attachment 408528
I noticed your inventory of wood. That is great. You never know when it can come in handy.

is that heater 220 V? I was thinking of getting one myself. I have seen some on 110 and some 220 with a plug. Not sure which one is better.

Having moved from our pretty big house after 30 years that had three garage stalls, all with well used work benches plus a separate workshop in the basement to a mid sizedduplex where I have only a 7x13 foot garage shop space and a loft (Man Cave) have projects simmering. The garage gets into the 90sF in the summer and yesterday at 19F and colder soon. Most of my larger tools have gone down the road with new owners Model building is being done in the loft on a table. Other projects .....

Having a shop available, without worrying about messing up the house (and pissing off my better half!), I can slip out and work on projects without upsetting the apple cart. I do ship model work as well as woodwork and I also get out there to do woodburning artwork for boxes I build...its all fun! Great way to spend my retirement!
FB_IMG_1577980062173.jpgFB_IMG_1577980051171.jpgFB_IMG_1577980042842.jpgFB_IMG_1569103200358.jpgFB_IMG_1569103142804.jpg

Back