Workshop

Since my wife and I now live in an apartment, I've had to find ways to squeeze my stuff in. The solution: go high. I have two 5-shelf book cases back to back in which I store fittings, materials and tools (compressor, drill press, Proxon/Micro-Mark hand power tools, and shoe boxes for airbrushing, soldering, drafting tools, rigging tools, cord, clamps, knives and saws, sanding tools and files, etc.). I also use tall, round cans for sutures, sanding sticks and paint brushes. And I have a pencil box for the tools I use most often on my work surface.

My driving objective is to keep my 2' x 5' bench top clear for my most recent build. Oh, I stash my unopened kit boxes on top of the book cases. I also have two 3-shelf book cases for my library - books and magazines. It's a little cramped, but works pretty well.

I bought a number of strong magnets (e-bay) - 25mm x 8mm x 2mm which can be screwed to the edge of a shelf or bench or put on any steel surface. They are well able to support chisels, pliers tweezers etc. No predetermined arrangement of tools is necessary. I tend to use the magnets to hold the items currently in use.

Trouble is, if you 'tidy up' & find new homes for everything, you'll never find what you need when you need it.:p
This is not, let's say, an accurate statement, Stuart. I have employed this system many years ago and still practicing. Maybe because I have tools I only need\use, but all my tools are stored in 2 IKEIA mobile drawers, and I don't have to label each. Sorry, there is another small drawer on top of my desk, I keep there very small tools like drill bits\endmills, knifes\knife blades.
I am in no way saying this is the way it should be, it is the way that works for me the best, I have accepted it the long way back, and following still.

600_3008.jpg

600_3006.jpg

I like your organization, Jim. I'm going to look into getting some rolling drawers like that.

Hi Don,
I know exactly what you mean. I'm a sloppy type too. Rarely clean up my desk, to find myself after a while looking at a battlefield of tools, drills, paint bottles etc. Recently I moved my hobby space into the cellar and decided to invest in the Hobbyzone storage organizers. As you can see in the photo, left desk is the paint station, the right desk is the building area.
I must say it helps a lot but you still need to get into the habit of putting stuff back in the organizers where they belong, on a regular basis.

IMG_0236.JPEG

I once had someone describe my 'system' as "chronologically by depth".
Looking at your pictures I do seem to have more stuff than most of you.
Jimsky- I like the flat drawers in you second picture. I do have an amazing workbench that the telephone company was getting rid of. $50 donation to a charity. Anyway the top is a full 36" deep. Lots of room for a row of drawers. I do need to find a spot for the scroll saw though.

I once had someone describe my 'system' as "chronologically by depth".
Looking at your pictures I do seem to have more stuff than most of you.
Jimsky- I like the flat drawers in you second picture. I do have an amazing workbench that the telephone company was getting rid of. $50 donation to a charity. Anyway the top is a full 36" deep. Lots of room for a row of drawers. I do need to find a spot for the scroll saw though.
The chest was bought on...you guessed it right, on Amazon. They are stackable and have always had the top for other tools.

1654443460712.png

Um,yeah,well. You can't teach an old dog new tricks,they just lie on the floor expecting treats for the minimal amount of effort. Alas,the same goes for work benches. A place for everything,and everything in its place. If you tidy,that tool you put down(3years ago) will be lost forever. Good luck!

I have two of these drawer units that hold quit a bit and helps me to group things. When I change tasks or finish for the day. Put away things that I don’t need to continue and organize what is on the bench top. I also clean up scrap wood, dust etc. It does not take long to do this and I find I’m more productive as I continue.

Regards,
John

I made this and it's way better than the ice cream bucket all this stuff was in before. I even found the hemostat I've been looking for. The wood is from an old door frame and the screen is from my old bonsai benches. The screen was my wife's idea. I just moved the scroll saw to another bench. Gotta think of a bench/stand for that.

DSC04563.JPG

This is not, let's say, an accurate statement, Stuart. I have employed this system many years ago and still practicing. Maybe because I have tools I only need\use, but all my tools are stored in 2 IKEIA mobile drawers, and I don't have to label each. Sorry, there is another small drawer on top of my desk, I keep there very small tools like drill bits\endmills, knifes\knife blades.
I am in no way saying this is the way it should be, it is the way that works for me the best, I have accepted it the long way back, and following still.

View attachment 312422

View attachment 312423
Agreed JIm, it's when I find a new home for a tool & by the next time it's needed I have to ask myself; "WTF did I put that?"
When I still model railroading & DIY furniture making I made myself a pedestal desk, so all my tools are to hand, even a 'file' draw:p. My bench top tpools are stored in a 'walk-in' closet soo as to leave the desk top clear for manoevering ships. I'm still looking for some fine 'sailcloth' I put away SAFE!

Am a tool adix and my bench is not clean , when spring comme modeling take a second place to working outside summer is short by the time Septembre come along modeling is on the menu

Back