would this be a crime?

Good afternoon, beautiful day in Florida today.
I am getting ready to start the Occre Albatross and looking at all the pictures of this ship i have decided that I would like the bulwarks painted dark green.
Would this be a no no ? Would this take a mid 1800 ship out of that time period?
This will be my second ship and I don't want to mess it up.
Thanks again
Steven

Good afternoon, beautiful day in Florida today.
I am getting ready to start the Occre Albatross and looking at all the pictures of this ship i have decided that I would like the bulwarks painted dark green.
Would this be a no no ? Would this take a mid 1800 ship out of that time period?
This will be my second ship and I don't want to mess it up.
Thanks again
Steven
There is no such thing as messing it up. I prefer a wood surface clear (no paint) multiple coats of linseed or Tung oil will do the job to my personal taste. I like this method for years! Why would someone say it is incorrect? It is my model and I build it the way I like.

Paint yours the way you like, unless it is important what others said :cool:

what is more a crime than using green is seeing bulwarks painted red that is an old wives tale that goes something like this, bulwarks

were painted red to keep the gun crews from panicking from blood during combat?

truth is they were painted green, yellow, white washed or Spanish brown which was a dirt color. No bright red like you see on models.

what is more a crime than using green is seeing bulwarks painted red that is an old wives tale that goes something like this, bulwarks

truth is they were painted green, yellow, white washed or Spanish brown which was a dirt color. No bright red like you see on models.
Looking at old contemporary museum models, they certainly used red paint on them Dave.

Looking at old contemporary museum models, they certainly used red paint on them Dave.

yes that is what i said on models you see them painted red but on real ships as close to red your going to get is dirt brown.

i read somewhere the Spanish used linseed oil mixed with finely ground clay

i think the red used on models is an artistic touch to brighten up the dirt-colored paint that would be seen on real ships

Yikes, now what do I do with my Syren build? Redface:D

Yikes, now what do I do with my Syren build?

hum your in a jam
Well you can go with red that is acceptable it was used on ships and definitely on models. paint seemed to be the captain's choice so either pale yellow, deep green, dirt red , white or no color

nice reference Jim
BTW, I bought this book as a paperback (I do have a collectible, numbered copy as well) for less than $10.00

Highly recommend this book.

No doubt about an earlier era. Prince George, Sandwich (Admiral Rodney) and Royal George at Gibraltar 1780. Gunports dark red.

Sandwich_1780.jpg
Painted by Dominic Serres the Elder. Enlarged detail of painting to indicate ship names in gold on stern. The detail is so accurate that Captain Gower's ship, Prince William, (captured Spanish Guipuscoana) shows only two masts and Gower's log states he removed the foremast soon after arrival at Gibraltar ahead of the fleet.

Some of the large ships with rounded stern shown in the complete painting are captured Spanish ships.

Serres was Marine Painter to the King and I think we can take it that this image represents the reality of Ships of the Line at that period.

The painting is held in the Royal Academy of Arts in London and I obtained a license to use a copy on my book jacket.

There are also Serres paintings of frigates 1789 and 1790 which may be of interest.

Frigates_1789.jpeg

Frigates_1790.jpeg

These certainly convinced me to stick to my decision to show the sides of Medea above the wales as oiled timber.

Back