would this be a crime?

Agree with you 100% Mike. My biggest crime I see is using the wrong blue on ship models.
Can either Mike or you or anyone else can define the true blue color? Who can witness that blue color which is not wrong, and what shade\s it should it have? ;)

Here is a colour correct Admiralty model of H.M.S Bellona. You can see its a dull dark blue and dull red oxide.
Modellers usually go for a bright intense blue and fire engine red on their models which is incorrect.
Thank you, Brian. What model\painting is used as the reference? How and who can prove this is the color used? On my monitor, it doesn't reflect dull dark blue and dull red oxide, it rather just blue. I am using Adobe color schema on my monitors, you and others might have an RGB. This difference is enough to represent two distinct colors, IMHO. What I am trying to say, is that one day, someone can say that the color you identify as the 'true' color is not the one...

Jim,
here is another model of the same ship. The builder has gone with a bright cobalt blue on this rendition of H.M.S Bellona.
There have been multiple discussions on paint colours for period ships, but the general consensus is dull matt paints are more historically accurate for ship models.

.1318345895_126_FT2650_stern_gallery_--_port_side_.jpeg

Brian,
Don't get wrong, bro. What I am trying to point out is there is absolutely no real evidence of what this 'true' color was. The color on contemporary models made is very well faded out for a couple of hundred of years. Paintings can not be chosen as the proof either, because painters are known for their 'Artistic license'.
Paint and painting, in general, were not cheap, and mostly done while en route in the sea. The paint is oftentimes mixed to save the original paint and the ship may be painted differently each time.
Here is what Mr. Oppenheim has formed a very unfavorable opinion of the ship's appearance ' As for the gilt and painting, a week of the rough weather would have converted the original tawdry splendour into a forlorn slatterliness.
If you like that dark blue on your models, please go for it, or any other color scheme you like. It is your model and you build\paint the way you like.

When you do a guided tour of the Constitution, they tell you that a lot of red was used on the gun decks to cover up all the blood.
me, I like all the colors of wood and brass accents, it’s a model not a real ship. When’s the last your e you saw a trawler stained? if I ever build one, it’ll be natural.

image.jpg

Brian,
Don't get wrong, bro. What I am trying to point out is there is absolutely no real evidence of what this 'true' color was. The color on contemporary models made is very well faded out for a couple of hundred of years. Paintings can not be chosen as the proof either, because painters are known for their 'Artistic license'.
Paint and painting, in general, were not cheap, and mostly done while en route in the sea. The paint is oftentimes mixed to save the original paint and the ship may be painted differently each time.
Here is what Mr. Oppenheim has formed a very unfavorable opinion of the ship's appearance ' As for the gilt and painting, a week of the rough weather would have converted the original tawdry splendour into a forlorn slatterliness.
If you like that dark blue on your models, please go for it, or any other color scheme you like. It is your model and you build\paint the way you like.
Oh yes there is, Jimsky. Paint samples taken from Wasa and HMS Victory allow us to recreate the paint color correctly by knowing what was in the paint, age notwithstanding. That only covers those individual ships, but provides a basis for choosing the right colors on other vessels. Despite artistic license in paintings, comparisons between separate artists painting the same subjects do offer clues as to how the ship was painted, and how the paint schemes changes through the life of the ship because of changes in color style. Such changes also date the ship in the painting because color changes can sometimes be traced to shipyard refit dates. Administrative documentation can also provides direct information on the painting colors used. All this may not provide specific colors to paint your model, but can allow you to get close to the colors of a ship during a certain time period. I agree that weather and age affect the color of the paint due to its condition. The model builder has to take that into account when choosing colors. The best weathering job I have ever seen on a model was done by our own member Shelk on Santisimo Trinidad using a sophisticated chipped paint method:

1645490798939.png

1645490905371.png

This ship has been through hell...
1645490852799.png

Oh yes there is, Jimsky. Paint samples taken from Wasa and HMS Victory allow us to recreate the paint color correctly by knowing what was in the paint, age notwithstanding.
Kurt, paint samples taken from the abovementioned ships are aged and were admitted by scientists as approximate, not the exact recipe. There are documentations taken under the Commonwealth and Restoration and probably earlier the exact paint or mixture used. But this is not the point, though.
The point is, as the model builder, you are free to choose the color scheme you like and build the way you like. No one should tell you it is not the authentic color.

I can tell you which blue colors are clearly wrong. Namely the blue colors which were synthesized by chemists after 1900 — the modern blue pigments. To describe an exact color in words is impossible anyway. Try going to a good art supply store . Someone there can usually tell you which colors are synthetic and which ones are historical. Pick one of the historical blues and you’ll get fairly close to the “exact” one.

I can tell you which blue colors are clearly wrong. Namely the blue colors which were synthesized by chemists after 1900 — the modern blue pigments. To describe an exact color in words is impossible anyway. Try going to a good art supply store . Someone there can usually tell you which colors are synthetic and which ones are historical. Pick one of the historical blues and you’ll get fairly close to the “exact” one.
Mikie, why would you take a role to judge which blue colors are clearly wrong? Why would someone or you tell me\anyone that the blue is wrong? Isn't it should be enough - because I like it?? Why use pear wood to plank the hull, and boxwood to make frames is NOT wrong, but using the 'wrong' blue - is wrong? Or... one more.., Why covering the ship with oils is not wrong? Who can say it is clearly wrong? Maybe I should paint the below hull white or buff or... perhaps someone will say it is not the correct white, the correct red? Ouch...

Oh yes there is, Jimsky. Paint samples taken from Wasa and HMS Victory allow us to recreate the paint color correctly by knowing what was in the paint, age notwithstanding. That only covers those individual ships, but provides a basis for choosing the right colors on other vessels. Despite artistic license in paintings, comparisons between separate artists painting the same subjects do offer clues as to how the ship was painted, and how the paint schemes changes through the life of the ship because of changes in color style. Such changes also date the ship in the painting because color changes can sometimes be traced to shipyard refit dates. Administrative documentation can also provides direct information on the painting colors used. All this may not provide specific colors to paint your model, but can allow you to get close to the colors of a ship during a certain time period. I agree that weather and age affect the color of the paint due to its condition. The model builder has to take that into account when choosing colors. The best weathering job I have ever seen on a model was done by our own member Shelk on Santisimo Trinidad using a sophisticated chipped paint method:

View attachment 292569

View attachment 292571

This ship has been through hell...
View attachment 292570
This is the effect I will be striving for with my Medea build. I hope to represent the ship at the end of 3 years of war without docking. Although Captain Gower loved 'painting the sides of the ship' at every opportunity the fact remains that chances for painting were slim and enemy cannon fire was regular. So, I'm not striving for a museum model. I want to show a working (and over-worked) ship at its best.

First of all let me say that I agree with Jimsky and all others who say that we all should be happy to paint our models any colour we like. However for the sake authenticity I would be sure that any blue paint used in quantity before the mid 19th century could only be described as dark and dull. The only bright blue pigment available before then would have been ultramarine blue and it would have cost a fortune,(more valuable than gold in the middle ages), and besides it would have faded away before the ship was launched. Take a look at this good little article by art writer Emma Taggart about blue through the ages,(best I think to ignore he bit about a “wine-red sea.”)https://mymodernmet.com/shades-of-blue-color-history/ H

Back