Yard mounting order

With all standing rigg in place on my Cutty Sark model, it is time to start thinking about the yards. My plan is to mount the yards with furled (is that the correct term?) sails attached. Are there any preferred order when it comes to mounting the yards? Which mast to start with, from top to bottom or the other way around? Etc? I guess that doing this wrong will make rigging more difficult than necessary :) .

From the top down seems best, since mounting the bottom yards first crowds the belaying pin rails and other belaying points. When the bottom yards are finally installed, you only have to worry about working in tight areas for those last few lines.

It is also easier to tie the lines to the belaying points down low first, then run the lines up the masts to the yards, because when tying the lines to the belaying points last it is difficult to get the line tension the way you want it, and prevent lines which are too loose, or breaking off belaying pins in the process of tying the line down.

You mount yards from the BOTTOM up, main mast to the stern and bow.. There is a lot of rigging close to the masts. You do not want to try to install this rigging THROUGH all of the rigging that exists on the outboard ends of the topmost yards. You can do it top down, but you will have a nightmare completing the lower yards.

I agree with Bill. I've always gone bottom to top starting with the bowsprit and working aft. No matter what approach you take you will always have to work in some tight spots. I do like Kurt's suggestion of tying some of the lines to belaying points on the deck and then running them up to the spars, etc. but the best advice is to be flexible and keep the final result in mind.

I did fore to aft and deck to top. Pre threading the blocks at the deck eliminates a difficult passage. Lou

Food for thoughts in this thread.
Since the lower yards are closer to the mast, I would also instinctively build bottom to top.
But, on the whole idea of accessibility, would it make sense to rig the yards before completing the shrouds?
(that is assuming the construction is rigid enough without them)

Seems like bottom to top, fore to aft is the general advise. I will try that approach. Thanks for all the responses, and Dr Lou: NICE model!

In my experience what I am looking for is to rig belay points from the inside (mast base) out as possible. It is way easier, for example, to set up rigging belayed on pin racks down at the base of a mast without all the rigging on the outsides already in place. So look for options at the deck level that take you inside to outside belay points. The exception to my rule is doing standing rigging first…then I follow my rule with the running rigging.

Last edited:
Seems a bit of thinking before starting might be good :)
This is for me one of the most important reasons, why I am making this hobby
You have to think about the works and plan them, before you start doing something
And afterwards you should review them if the plan or thoughts were correct, or could or should be even adjusted .......
In normal life we are not really learning something new - but with modeling (and following a forum like ours) we learn every day

With all standing rigg in place on my Cutty Sark model, it is time to start thinking about the yards. My plan is to mount the yards with furled (is that the correct term?) sails attached. Are there any preferred order when it comes to mounting the yards? Which mast to start with, from top to bottom or the other way around? Etc? I guess that doing this wrong will make rigging more difficult than necessary :) .
Hallo @Ronnie
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @Ronnie
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I rigged mine jibs first then foremast etc working fore to aft and then deck to top.

Back