Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Scratchbuilt passenger liners

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Plank on frame (kit)

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Plank on Frame (scratch)

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Too much patience needed for plank on frame, and I haven't much of it, but I did build this one many years ago. That is a small matchbox that it is standing on. The planking was sycamore veneer. :eek:
Bob

Attachments

• Neilson (Medium).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 372
I wonder if POF would have won if POB had been an option?

Got so say I am very impressed with the POF builds on here, leave me in total awe of the skill involved. Hope that wrist is healing Brian, want to see your build log being updated. :handgestures-thumbup:

Bob I'll never understand how you say you do not have the patience to build a kit and then show us something like that! I'll take your word for it though. ;-)

Gemma,
Patience!
How long does it take you to make a ship from a kit? Probably weeks, or months. Time I take has so far fallen between 33 hours, and a maximum of 117 hours for the five-masted full-rigged ship Preussen. The working hours were spread over several weeks each, and I seldom manage more than 2 or 3 hours a day, take lot of days off, and quite a number of days with between half an hour, and one hour per day, which is not much really! :D The one that only took 33 hours, I considered pretty poor, and lacking in detail, it sold at acution for £780, and was my greatest success ever. That was in 2004! :eek:
Bob

With you now Bob. I guess I was thinking of patience in terms of being able to sit down and do fiddly things, rather than the overall time of a build. I'm pretty much like you with the Pearl build, I think everyday, right I will do four planks today, never do more than a couple and then skip a few days. At this rate it will take me over a year to finish the model. But I see it as relaxing time in my own little world, so I'm fine with it. The Pearl is patient and sits there waiting for me to go in the modelling room and do a bit. Every plank seems like it is an achievement in its own way, so I think of modelling each bit rather than the whole. :D

I have though ordered a copy of Modelling Thames Sailing Barges, hoping there will be enough in there to have a go at my first miniature. ;-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0851770916/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any way, off to fit the remaining 8 planks on the Pearl (yeah right, it will be two at most lol)

None of the above ships! Currently I enjoy building in plastic, "SHIPS OF EXPLORATION" from the Age of Discovery, voyages of Exploration, AKA the Columbian Era. ie, Naos, Carracks, and Caravels. Mostly Heller, IMAI and Lindberg.

Last edited:
None of the above. I like scratch build but there are other categories that I prefer. Catboats, sharpies, row boats, duck boats to name a few. I also like to build cannons and battle stations.

Back