YQ Bluenose Ted R

When it was going in it didn't seem quite right. But due to a lack of experience I thought I had screwed up the assembly.
Tes

I saw your photo and it got my attention.;) But you have already noticed yourself. :) By placing every new frame, keep on checking all the different lines of the hull and the frames! The notches of half rear parts of the frames must lay in a smooth line. Because the deck beams will rest on them.
Regards, Peter
Thank you, I'm changing them this morning

When it was going in it didn't seem quite right. But due to a lack of experience I thought I had screwed up the assembly.
Tes
I reread your last comment again and understand how the deck level will help with alignment on frames 50-54..

Continued installing frames. Corrected the juxtaposed frames 45 and 46. Found a slight twist in the keel after sitting through the frame assembly period or my mishandling some way. I had it stored on the glass substrate with weights. The wood reinforcement currently clipped to the keel has it straight again. 17130584476199022363199007688083.jpg

Earlier in Daniels log he said he was operating at the edge of his abilities starting the frame installation. I am in well over my head. Seems to be a pattern in my life. My first airplane was a turbocharged Cessna Centurion. It was old and I totally rebuilt it while attending my A and P courses. Then I bought a Aero Commander Shrike when I only had about 150 hours total flight experience. For the first year I always flew with my flight instructor in the right seat. Another common thread was always having a cadre of highly experienced friends close at hand helping me with my endeavors. Seems I have lucked out again finding this site and the magnenamous devotees to ship modeling willing to help me.
You are all dearly appreciated and I want to thank you from my heart.
Ted

Continued installing frames. Corrected the juxtaposed frames 45 and 46. Found a slight twist in the keel after sitting through the frame assembly period or my mishandling some way. I had it stored on the glass substrate with weights. The wood reinforcement currently clipped to the keel has it straight again. View attachment 441540
Hi Ted. A steady pace with the installing of the frames.
You have to look at 2 frames at the aft:
IMG_4187.jpeg
It’s about the 2 frames in the red circle (46+47?). The notches must lay in a slightly curved line (the sheer of the deck). These have also been changed position?

They where also in that position on the picture of your post #258 (3 frames out of line), but I did not count/check your pointed frame numbers.
IMG_4186.jpeg
I am sure you can solve this (little) problem.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Earlier in Daniels log he said he was operating at the edge of his abilities starting the frame installation. I am in well over my head. Seems to be a pattern in my life. My first airplane was a turbocharged Cessna Centurion. It was old and I totally rebuilt it while attending my A and P courses. Then I bought a Aero Commander Shrike when I only had about 150 hours total flight experience. For the first year I always flew with my flight instructor in the right seat. Another common thread was always having a cadre of highly experienced friends close at hand helping me with my endeavors. Seems I have lucked out again finding this site and the magnenamous devotees to ship modeling willing to help me.
You are all dearly appreciated and I want to thank you from my heart.
Ted
Staying in your comfort zone will not yield improved existing capabilities, nor will that result in acquiring new ones. Operating at or over the edge of your capabilities may initially result in disappointment, but perseverance will eventually result in a very satisfying outcome.

Staying in your comfort zone will not yield improved existing capabilities, nor will that result in acquiring new ones. Operating at or over the edge of your capabilities may initially result in disappointment, but perseverance will eventually result in a very satisfying outcome.
Well said.

Well said. What cockpit is that on your bio picture?

Hi Ted. A steady pace with the installing of the frames.
You have to look at 2 frames at the aft:
View attachment 441558
It’s about the 2 frames in the red circle (46+47?). The notches must lay in a slightly curved line (the sheer of the deck). These have also been changed position?

They where also in that position on the picture of your post #258 (3 frames out of line), but I did not count/check your pointed frame numbers.
View attachment 441559
I am sure you can solve this (little) problem.
Regards, Peter
Thanks for the heads up.
I got them corrected.

My flight instructor ended up being Jim Carrey's Gulfstream 500 pilot for a few years. I got to ride along quite a few times when he was deadheading. He moved to the airlines but always missed the executive jets. I lost my physical due to lung conditions from Agent Orange.

My flight instructor ended up being Jim Carrey's Gulfstream 500 pilot for a few years. I got to ride along quite a few times when he was deadheading. He moved to the airlines but always missed the executive jets. I lost my physical due to lung conditions from Agent Orange.
Never got to fly (in) a Gulfstream yet. Visited the FAL in Savanah a couple of times, very nice to see those jets up close. As a design lead I was quite involved in the development of the G650 tail.
Agent Orange; Vietnam vet?

My flight instructor ended up being Jim Carrey's Gulfstream 500 pilot for a few years. I got to ride along quite a few times when he was deadheading. He moved to the airlines but always missed the executive jets. I lost my physical due to lung conditions from Agent Orange
Never got to fly (in) a Gulfstream yet. Visited the FAL in Savanah a couple of times, very nice to see those jets up close. As a design lead I was quite involved in the development of the G650 tail.
Agent Orange; Vietnam vet?
Yeah, six years US Air Force.
Started in fighter weapons control systems and cross trained to air traffic controller.

Thanks for the heads up.
I got them corrected.
I thought it was corrected. Went back and swapped 46 and 45 again. Did I really remove them to put them back incorrectly.
Took them back out and have them in place again but not glued. The fairing looks pretty good but something looks like it isn't just right. Here are some photos. Any suggestions?
Perplexed!
Ted

IMG20240414184041.jpg

IMG20240414184022.jpg

IMG20240414184018.jpg

IMG20240414184007.jpg

Frames 46 and 47 still look to have been swapped...
The notches should line up according to the yellow line.

IMG_0470.jpeg

Hi Ted, if you still have your paper frame patterns (I hope you made copies) for 46 and 47, just lay the frames on it to verify what you really have. If the problem does not reveal itself then I would start over by verifying all of them say 42-49.

Hi Ted, if you still have your paper frame patterns (I hope you made copies) for 46 and 47, just lay the frames on it to verify what you really have. If the problem does not reveal itself then I would start over by verifying all of them say 42-49.
Sound advice...

Back