YQ Bluenose Ted R

Or the keel is drifting upwards?
Essentially yes. I'm wondering if the aft end of the keel is too high. I know the keel is spot on as far as matching the plans . I didn't remove the frames starting at frame 49 in the reconstruction. I haven't been able to come up with any dimensions from the plans but will look carefully in the AM. Once I get past the frame construction the build looks a little easier. I hope that not just wishful thinking on my part.
Thank you for the input.
Ted

Hi Ted, looks like you have a good start this time. I noticed on my BN from about the 21 or 22nd frame a slight increase in distance from the end of the frame to the rabbit line sort of like what you are describing, I think. At the bow this gap is maybe 1 mm and increases to just over 2.5 mm at the stern.

IMG_2476rev.jpg

Hi Ted. 'Crazy' Peter has a slightly different opinion about that. ;) (Sorry for that, Daniel) They can connect:
IMG_4194.jpeg
But here you also have to understand the ‘why’.
A ‘slightly inferior’ connection is not problematic. What will be important later is that the hull planks have a smooth transition from the frames into the rabbet of the keel. If you are going to sand the outside, you can make a smooth transition on the fully planked side to the rabbet for inserting the lowest planks, the garboard strake. And the ends of the plank further upwards on the bow:
IMG_4195.jpeg
And at the stern a smooth transition from the frames to the deadwood.
For the side that is not completely planked, you have to make it in such a way that it is ‘visually OK’ for you.
Regards, Peter

Hi Ted, looks like you have a good start this time. I noticed on my BN from about the 21 or 22nd frame a slight increase in distance from the end of the frame to the rabbit line sort of like what you are describing, I think. At the bow this gap is maybe 1 mm and increases to just over 2.5 mm at the stern.

View attachment 446530
Thanks, I was becoming alarmed over nothing.
Hi Ted. 'Crazy' Peter has a slightly different opinion about that. ;) (Sorry for that, Daniel) They can connect:
View attachment 446531
A ‘slightly inferior’ connection is not problematic. What will be important later is that the hull planks have a smooth transition from the frames into the rabbet of the keel. If you are going to sand the outside, you can make a smooth transition on the fully planked side to the rabbet for inserting the lowest planks, the garboard strake. And the ends of the plank further upwards on the bow:
View attachment 446532
For the side that is not completely planked, you have to make it in such a way that it is ‘visually OK’ for you.
Regards, Peter
Thank you,.
I have frames 21 to 27 in place but not glued. I think I'm ok. Could someone give it a quick look to verify before I make it permanent.1715362350517388368359537694040.jpg17153623954549223258702208080605.jpg17153624117786487650295321607101.jpg

View attachment 446531
View attachment 446532
Regards, Peter
Are those shims glued to the frames near the load beam elevation

Ted

I'm not sure what to make of your last picture Ted. It looks to me like none of the ribs are seated in their respective notch. If this is true, then there is no way I can confirm what you have. Also, you have a huge gap between the end of the frames and the rabbit line which further indicates you are not properly dry fitted up. I could be way off in my assessment; I am just going on what your photo appears to show.

Not to worry. I just have the ribs in place with the strake on the inside to measure again that they are going to fit as required with a smooth sweep to the stern. I'm removing them this morning to go back to single frame installation.
I can see where the photo could be alarming.
Thank you for working today keep me corralled and on track.
Ted

I really struggling to keep the fairing and load bearing beams in line on the back half of the project. Set it aside for a day or two to regroup. I'm not even close to giving up. It's just making me nervous and I need to calm down.

Back