YQ Bluenose Ted R

I'm confused. Which way does the bevel go, up toward the deck or down to the bottom of the keel I can't find a section in the plans
Ok if you're talking about part #20, the curve going up at the end has a small bevel. When both parts 20 are matched side by side you should see a small "V" shape, this is the correct position for left and right. If you see where the small bevels come to a point, then you have them backwards.

Please bear with me.
Just to confirm. Part 18, tip ready.
Part 21 port side, bottom with arrows indicating direction of chamfer17098554687958228116642703776925.jpg

I'm confused. Which way does the bevel go, up toward the deck or down to the bottom of the keel I can't find a section in the plans
You have to have a Vee which points down towards the keel. V The bowsprit will lie in the hollow that the Vee creates.

Hi Ted. 2 points for you attention:
Be sure that the bevel at the parts #18 have a smooth transition to the deadwood.
Be sure that the bevel on the top of the parts #21 is on the inside:
View attachment 433210
The bowsprit is laying inside that |\_/|
Regards, Peter
Ted, my apologies for the confusion for calling it part #21: the bevels on the tops of the parts are part #20. Those are at the bow.
Daniel has pointed it right as part nr. #20:
IMG_9532.jpeg
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Regarding part#21, I actually glued it in place with a square edge then beveled it in place according to how a hull plank was going to fit it. I circled the cross section of what you are working on. There is only a slight bevel on pieces 20&21. The closer you get to the stern the bevel will run out and become just square as it crosses the dead wood zone.

1709902257980.png

Regarding part#21, I actually glued it in place with a square edge then beveled it in place according to how a hull plank was going to fit it. I circled the cross section of what you are working on. There is only a slight bevel on pieces 20&21. The closer you get to the stern the bevel will run out and become just square as it crosses the dead wood zone.

View attachment 433485
Thanks, I missed that. I was looking for a complete section of the hull. Duh.

I had to replace the tip on part 18 where it previously disappeared. Have the chamfer filed on the interior where indicated by you guys above. Any further filing will be done to fit as the bowsprit is installed. Thanks for all the help.
Ted
IMG20240310114647.jpg

The other side shifted when I clamped it between the glass plates approximately .5mm.
I didn't catch it because of the parallax. I hope this is enough clamping to keep the keel perfectly flat as it was before.
A twisted and crooked keel is the nightmare I fought all the way through my Virginia Swift build.17100999558837432894542333890150.jpg

The doctor says my cataracts are bad enough to require surgery but they also said no surgeon will do the operation as long as my vision corrects to 20/20. I ordered a magnifying glass/lamp assembly I saw used on YouTube. Either way I'm no longer going to agonize over perfection. Jittery hands, half blind doesn't matter. Like I said I'm in it for the fun. I know it must drive half the site crazy considering the superlative work they produce. Just bear with me if you can

Ted

The doctor says my cataracts are bad enough to require surgery but they also said no surgeon will do the operation as long as my vision corrects to 20/20. I ordered a magnifying glass/lamp assembly I saw used on YouTube. Either way I'm no longer going to agonize over perfection. Jittery hands, half blind doesn't matter. Like I said I'm in it for the fun. I know it must drive half the site crazy considering the superlative work they produce. Just bear with me if you can

Ted
Hi Ted. Hopefully ‘the magnifier’ will help you and surgery will stay away for a while.
Having fun is important and we will help you to get a nice Bluenose.
Regards, Peter

Ted, I have built all of my ships behind a pair of +3.25 reading glasses. Without them it simply would not have happened.
Thanks Daniel.
When I was young I wrecked my dragster and crushed my optical orbit. They removed the lower shelf of my right optical orbit and put in a piece of Teflon to hold my eye up. I learned to fudge the tests to pass my flight physicals and work in ATC. Still till today I get double vision if I relax my eyes but it's controllable. Anyway a little wonky vision leads me to think something is in the correct lace only to discover it out by half a mm or so. That's what sand paper was made for.
I have never enjoyed build a model as much as I am now.
Ted

Back