zhl royal caroline

will be starting the r.c. soon. i ordered the 1:50 scale with resin "carvings". big mistake. the pieces are all formed in several big chunks. useless the way they are now. any ideas one how to separate them will be appreciated. i was planning to use fake gold leaf on them. so in order to keep costs down i got the resin instead of pear or boxwood. the quarter gallerys are all one piece. i suspect i will have to build them from scratch.

Agree, have worked many time w/resin attached to plugs. Cut as much of the plug/sheet away as you can but do not remove all the way to the item you are working with. Get a piece of plate glass, use spray glue and attach med grade to half and fine to the other half of the glass. You get 2 sanding grades for material removal. Start with the med and finish with the fine. Be sure to clean the resin before and after, Bletchley's Tire Cleaner, if I remember worked the best. Once you are satisfied with the part, attach. Sadly I hate the stuff now, but CA is the glue for attaching or good ole contact cement. I have never gold leafed resin, not sure if because of the chemical composition of the resin produced in China will allow the gold leaf to stick well. But now, Gold Rub and Buff w/wash would look great.
Hope this has been of some help. I look forward to your thread.
Rick

Back