ZHL-San Felipe 1690 Build Log 1:50 scale

Really nice work . I am considering buying this kit , a little worried about the quality of the instructions but I'm sure with your excellent build log I could get it done

I am curious. You have mentioned this kit and that you also have the Panart kit. How do they compare?

Bill

Well, Panart is smaller, of course,
And I think maybe that the instructions are a bit better as far as the quality of the wood and stuff probably the same, I haven’t started that kit so I can say is I think some of the bulwarks are pre-made other than that I think probably pretty much the same. Just depends on what size you want

Hope this build is still in progress. Very tempted to buy this kit from Aliexpress for 330$.
A lot of beautiful kits around though... All the best...

Hi. I have just purchased a part built ZHL San Felipe 1/50 scale off a member on here called Bazza who's friend sadly passed away recently. Another member on here Greg W has kindly emailed me drawings of which were from the Cd I think. I have the large plans but the scale on the drawings are supposed to be 1 to 1, but when comparing them to the model, they are definitely not to scale. There are not a lot of clear measurements and the only thing to scale is the template for cannon holes. The drawing measurement for the centre to centre of the cannon to cannon is 35mm on my drawing but the actual measurement is 55mm. I tried using this percentage difference for other measurements, but it didn't work with other parts on the drawing. I was wondering what scale you had worked to when building the ship. I would really appreciate if you could help me with this . Regards Si.

Hey - good to see another ZHL San Felipe build. I'll be paying attention for sure. You are quite aways ahead of me so I get to see what's next. :)

Si, I've got the other ZHL San Felipe build going as well. The plans and instructions are more like suggestions. LOL. Ya gotta just make some of them up as you go.
Ok, thanks . Wish there were YouTube videos like the HMS Victory, it would be a lot easier. Regards Si.

Back