ZHL-San Felipe 1690 Build Log 1:50 scale

Received my kit last night and it’s the same one. Not much for written instructions but drawings look good. Had to reference your photos on the very first step on exactly how to place #19 on to #13. No illustration on that so I just followed your lead. Thanks! Please keep posting. I am underway.Ship kit.jpgship start.jpg

Wow the instructions on this thing are definitely from China and or this is a bit over my head. Your photos are definitely a big help. Thanks!!! Gluing on deck one now. Please keep the photos coming.

Received my kit last night and it’s the same one. Not much for written instructions but drawings look good. Had to reference your photos on the very first step on exactly how to place #19 on to #13. No illustration on that so I just followed your lead. Thanks! Please keep posting. I am underway.View attachment 216561View attachment 216562
I wish I saw this earlier...Part 19 cannot extand below the line of the bulkheads. If you are able to remove it then glue it up higher almost to the top of deck. You won't be able to plank over the part of 19 that extends below the bulkheads. Try and look ahead at the pics on the cd and get a general idea how things wil fit together.
Also there is some confusion on part 7B, Some of the pics show it installed and others show it not and part 8D gets planking and then installed over 8B
. You will get to that after the main deck is on. I am not sure exactly what I am going to do yet.

I wish I saw this earlier...Part 19 cannot extand below the line of the bulkheads. If you are able to remove it then glue it up higher almost to the top of deck. You won't be able to plank over the part of 19 that extends below the bulkheads. Try and look ahead at the pics on the cd and get a general idea how things wil fit together.
Also there is some confusion on part 7B, Some of the pics show it installed and others show it not and part 8D gets planking and then installed over 8B
. You will get to that after the main deck is on. I am not sure exactly what I am going to do yet.
DID they send you a CD with construction pics?
Lol, yes in that photo I had not yet applied glue and when I looked closer to your photo, I moved it up to the top. Thankyou so much for the help. by the way, i see you have painted the gun blocks black, is that to help shadow them? View attachment 217370

Thanks! How is your project coming? Looks good so far! If it isn’t too much to ask, will you keep the photos coming? And lots of them. I did not get the big fold out instruction that you have, I got two booklets on printer paper. One with pictures and no instructions and another with instruction with very bad broken English. I did get a CD but it isn’t very good, just quick random photos and no instruction. About half of my build is going by your photos and info and what I can get off the web. I am on the back decks now #51 and it said to glue #48 with it but I see that #48 doesn’t go on until the second deck up. I am probably looking too hard into it but just don’t want to make a mistake.

I've been working on this model for the last 3 months and I find it very good quality and easy to build if you can convert a picture to the model. Any writing is very limited. I go between the pictures on the CD and the blueprint pictures very often. I hope you have as much fun and relaxation as I have had so fa m on the San Filepi
Currently working on the ship Terror after which with much excitement I will begin the San felipe. Thanks for all the heads up advice you can give. Keep up the great work.

Your ship is looking great! I like the clamps, thanks for tip. My ship arrives from Amazon on Friday. I got this big scale as I think I would have a hard time with smaller parts but this is my first build and just hope it’s not over my head. Your comments are helpful and reassuring. Thank! By the way, I paid $600 for this kit. It was $70 less on eBay but it would have taken 60 days or more to arrive. Amazon 5 days. Was $600 a good deal? Anyone?
Just paid $ 384.00 on ali express including tax and shipping this was on july 2021 on sale, had to buy it.

Your ship is looking great! I like the clamps, thanks for tip. My ship arrives from Amazon on Friday. I got this big scale as I think I would have a hard time with smaller parts but this is my first build and just hope it’s not over my head. Your comments are helpful and reassuring. Thank! By the way, I paid $600 for this kit. It was $70 less on eBay but it would have taken 60 days or more to arrive. Amazon 5 days. Was $600 a good deal? Anyone?
Around 400.00 on ali express including tax and shipping from china.

After a long layoff from building I am back devoted time to this project. Finished one side of the hull completely and spread some filler on it but haven't sanded it down yet. Have been working on the decking and there are also a couple of bulkheads that I am trying to figure out how to make doors and windows for.
tempImageUHErPv.png
tempImagezo6oIc.png

Just a build note: Deck 41, I recommend that you do not put this on until you plank the deck below or you will be planking with a long tweezers! As you can see I had to cut away the deck to plank the deck below it

IMG_5083.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5085.jpg
    IMG_5085.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5086.jpg
    IMG_5086.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back