ZHL-San Felipe 1690 Build Log 1:50 scale

Flying 22, I am noticing that you have not chamfered or “faired” the fwd and aft most 2 or 3 bulkheads to aid in your planking laying fair and smooth at the fwd and aft undersides of the bulkheads and the most curved sections of the hull - you may find that your hull will have severe dips and raised areas that will require lots of filler if you do not fair the bulkheads prior to planking....

Flying 22, I am noticing that you have not chamfered or “faired” the fwd and aft most 2 or 3 bulkheads to aid in your planking laying fair and smooth at the fwd and aft undersides of the bulkheads and the most curved sections of the hull - you may find that your hull will have severe dips and raised areas that will require lots of filler if you do not fair the bulkheads prior to planking....
thank you for the input, they are chamfered, i think the photo you see is probably from before the bow was done. I used to hate filing the ribs down, then I started using my Dremel Multi tool and it took all of 10 minutes to do. I should have thought of that earlier!IMG_3627.JPG

Whew! Glad I said something, all’s well that ends well, it’s looking good and like fun! I’m still on the fence about this kit. :)

you may want to look at some blocking for guns on the main deck for the last 5 guns because the way they tell you to do it will be very hard and cutting out planking later is a pain and a waste of wood. I just finished 1 side and still have the other to do. The Panart model puts in blocking. Just a thought, and have fun

The planking is coming right along. It is super easy to work on because it is so big!IMG_3631.JPG
you may want to look at some blocking for guns on the main deck for the last 5 guns because the way they tell you to do it will be very hard and cutting out planking later is a pain and a waste of wood. I just finished 1 side and still have the other to do. The Panart model puts in blocking. Just a thought, and have fun
Can you show me a picture of what you mean? In the ZHL plans they don't cover mounting any of the guns.
I did find a small diagram that shows a wood block that you insert thru the opening and then glue the cannon on top .

Last edited:
I don't have a camera but buy your last pic, the last 5 guns sit on the main deck but under the second deck just above the planking on the right side. Hold up your gun port layout card and you will see the guns I mean. Also check other pics on SOS because they cut off some of the bulkheads that planking is glued to at deck level on the 1st 2nd and 3rd decks

The planking is coming right along. It is super easy to work on because it is so big!View attachment 206737

Can you show me a picture of what you mean? In the ZHL plans they don't cover mounting any of the guns.
I don't have a camera but buy your last pic, the last 5 guns sit on the main deck but under the second deck just above the planking on the right side. Hold up your gun port layout card and you will see the guns I mean. Also check other pics on SOS because they cut off some of the bulkheads that planking is glued to at deck level on the 1st 2nd and 3rd decks
I actually have the panart kit also and have to cross reference some of those plans to get better ideas for the ZHL model.

You building the panart or the zhl kit? the gun ports are between bulkheads 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. The bulkheads that get cut flush to the decks are 4 thru 12 so they don't hang out there after the planking is on and look unsightly, So don't glue to them. I cut them off just before I planked them so it was easier to cut. Take a look at San Felipe | Page 4 | Ships of Scale, you will see what i mean.

I’m building the ZHL kit, But I also picked up the panart kit because someone was selling it for a couple hundred dollars, does the Zhl kit It’s a lot bigger and they have you put the carriage through the gun port and then can you glue on thru Gunport also

I would cut a gun port in a piece of scrap and see how it works, I just couldn't do an easy job that way. Maybe my port where a little high but I couldn't get the fake carriage to go in and glue down, They also use the same half guns that they use on the lower ports. Count the ports and the type of gun

I would cut a gun port in a piece of scrap and see how it works, I just couldn't do an easy job that way. Maybe my port where a little high but I couldn't get the fake carriage to go in and glue down, They also use the same half guns that they use on the lower ports. Count the ports and the type of gun
That’s a good idea I’m going to try that

I would hate to see you have to do some of the things I've done to correct mistakes. I'm not that far ahead of you, I have the planking on, inside planking almost done and half the gun ports cut in, and most of the deck planking on. I still need to cut out side planking for the gun blocking on the other side we've been talking about and I had to go buy more planking already because of my not looking ahead far enough.

Yes I’ve tried to look through all the plans and many of the steps, it’s actually helps having a pan art plans because they are a little bit more detail than the ZHL ones

Back