18th Century Longboat Model Expo 1:48

To lessen the curve in the bow, I am considering using "Cheater" planks as pictured below. Do people think this is acceptable?

View attachment 445202
As long as you accept this, it will be accepted by us! This has happened because you didn't place the 'garboard' (the first plank from the keel) plank in the right place. The next time (unless you consider to redo), It would be best if you moved it close to the second bulkhead. Also, you may consider tapering planks close to the bow area.

As long as you accept this, it will be accepted by us! This has happened because you didn't place the 'garboard' (the first plank from the keel) plank in the right place. The next time (unless you consider to redo), It would be best if you moved it close to the second bulkhead. Also, you may consider tapering planks close to the bow area.

Thank you so much for these links. I will study them, am sure there is a lot to learn! I am open to any criticism or suggestions!

Thinking everything over, I decided to redo the garboard plank. Luckily i am using PVA glue and am able to dissolve it using water. I brushed water on the planks and waited a while then slowly took off the planks. They came off slowly and I re-brushed on water as needed.
IMG_8683.jpeg

I tried to get off as much glue to leave a fresh surface to re-glue the garboard.

IMG_8684.jpeg

Technically known as 'stealers' rather than cheaters they were certainly used sometimes. They never end in a point though - but are joggled into one of the neighbour planks ending (from memory) with the narrow end of the stealer around 1/3 the width of its widest part. But I have seen these more usually used at the stern of a boat rather than at the bow.

Back