Garboard Plank

Not sure on trim the Garboard plank? I soaked the plank and placed on the bulkheads to get the shape. Question is to I cut the plank where the arrows are pointing to?Garboard Plank cut.jpg

Sparky,
I think your garboard strake is way up high at stem. If you install it as is, it is going to push all the planks above it. It might help to mark run of each plank on frames, before you actually start planking it. Looks great.

Hello Sparky,
I would even cut at the beginning of the second bulkhead. Agree with Gennaro, you will end up extreme curve of the planks.

Sparky,
I think your garboard strake is way up high at stem. If you install it as is, it is going to push all the planks above it. It might help to mark run of each plank on frames, before you actually start planking it. Looks great.
Thank you

Hello Sparky, It is totally understandable. You may avoid most of frustrations if you better understand the entire process. We always wanted to get our hands dirty with building, but a much feasible way to learn it first. There are many books out there to teach you planking, below one of them and I consider it as the primer. It is really tiny and cost symbolic price...but you will understand the process of planking and can apply to your model.

you may find even a better price (used) :)

planking is always difficult for many modelers many ways to do it my way is usally considered the hardest way but for me it works once i have the garboard plank installed that one is still a problem for me i like to spile my planks it requires more materials and wider materials but it works for me most of the time. Don

that book that JIM just showed is my go to book on planking it has the BEST EXPLANATION OF SPILING THAT I KNOW OF GET THE BOOK YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY. Don

I know I have that book in storage somewhere, from when I first started ship work, now if I can only find it and reread it again before I start back on plank work.

Not sure on trim the Garboard plank? I soaked the plank and placed on the bulkheads to get the shape. Question is to I cut the plank where the arrows are pointing to?View attachment 143483
Do your plans show in side view the running of planks? You can see in the image below, where garboard plank ends in cutter Cheerful. Another excellent tutorial on planking is David Antscherl's (http://www.admiraltymodels.com/Planking_primer.pdf).

View attachment 143659
Hi Sparky
Note the manual says the garboard plank should end about an eighth of an inch forward of the join in the keel. Most of what has been said above is in that direction. Jimsky's comment in post #6 above shows what I had to do to make mine fit but that example is further towards the bow than the recommendation for our 18th Century longboat.

Hello Sparky, It is totally understandable. You may avoid most of frustrations if you better understand the entire process. We always wanted to get our hands dirty with building, but a much feasible way to learn it first. There are many books out there to teach you planking, below one of them and I consider it as the primer. It is really tiny and cost symbolic price...but you will understand the process of planking and can apply to your model.

you may find even a better price (used) :)
Thank you ordered last night. Will stop planking now and will read the book once it gets here>

Hi Sparky
Note the manual says the garboard plank should end about an eighth of an inch forward of the join in the keel. Most of what has been said above is in that direction. Jimsky's comment in post #6 above shows what I had to do to make mine fit but that example is further towards the bow than the recommendation for our 18th Century longboat.
Hi Ian, Thanks for the tip

As you can see there are as many methods on planking as there are modelers. As I understand the garboard plank, at least as it relates to modelers, is to establish a straight line along the top. That requires tapering the bottom at the stem, but running it only so far as it goes to keep the top more or less without bend or taper.

Gennaro‘s photo and drawing show that well I think.

Hi Sparky,
You have gotten a lot of good suggestions so I don't know if I can add anything, but I have laid a number of garboard planks so perhaps I can place a comment on top of the heap. The garboard is the most important plank on the hull since it sets the level of each of the other streaks, but it is also the most difficult because it abuts the keel and in most cases twists 90 degrees. I lay the garboard against the keel at midships and as the plank twists going forward simply shave off the wood so that it sidles against the keel without the top edge being forced upwards. The top of the plank must run straight to the stem such that the next plank also runs straight to the stem. There is a tendency for the garboard to "drop" as it is twisted to meet the stern post..... this is compensated for with a spoiler (a wider plank or added insert) on the following streak(s).

Back