HMS GRANADO 1:48 scale PoF CAF Model by Keith

This is great work Keef, I find myself studying the frames back and forth and wondering how those workers ever built such structures without modern equipment.
Thank you Daniel. Yes l often find myself thinking that exact same thing. No computers, no electric power tools, just hard accurate woodworking skills. incredible.

This is super work Keef. I just love how clean and tidy the assembly of the frames are and how well the hull shape is coming along. I'm looking forward to when the hull is fully closed.

This is super work Keef. I just love how clean and tidy the assembly of the frames are and how well the hull shape is coming along. I'm looking forward to when the hull is fully closed.
Thank you very much Hienrich for your kind words. l am trying for this weekend to close the hull because l have had some bad, but not unexpected news and it looks like the following weeks will be filled with hospital appointments. Scans, surgery and chemo. Sorry to drop this on you and this group, but l am scared and need to tell someone. Maybe l should just keep quiet

Thank you very much Hienrich for your kind words. l am trying for this weekend to close the hull because l have had some bad, but not unexpected news and it looks like the following weeks will be filled with hospital appointments. Scans, surgery and chemo. Sorry to drop this on you and this group, but l am scared and need to tell someone. Maybe l should just keep quiet

I have just joined your new build log in which you show us your wonderful talent again.
I am so, so sorry to learn about your health issue. It is only natural you are scared but please don't keep quiet. I hope you are surrounded by a loving family but you are certainly surrounded by friends here so drop whatever you want to share with us.
For now I wish you all the strength you need, the best medical care and recovery.

With the keel now all but finished apart from CA-1 and 2 (the card slots for the midship frames) and a little cleaning and fine tuning, it's time l turned to the cradle in which the keel is held in order to accurately align each of the frames once they are constructed. The first job is to mount the base of the cradle onto a thicker piece of pine to give the structure more rigidity and add a bit of weight to stop it sliding about all over the workbench when trying to work on the model. This done, the keel is placed into its centre position to check all is correct. l'm really happy to say that it fits perfectly. So now l can continue with the construction of the cradle, which like the rest of the kit so far seems to go together very accurately.
I hope to be starting the CAF Granado in a month or so. Do you feel the thick piece of pine on the bottom is necessary, and recommended by CAF? I would be a bit concerned with the pine warping, or even not quite straight to begin with, while the plywood construction frame, being a closed box, should be very resistant to torsion or warping. I do understand about the weight, though. Just wondering your thoughts.

Sorry, I wrote this as I started with your build from the beginning, and just now saw about your health concerns. Please accept my well-wishes and good results during your health issues. We will all be rooting for you - all of us in your build audience, and more.

Last edited:
Hello @Keef, I wish you courage in the difficult ordeals you are going through and a rapid recovery to return to us as quickly as possible.
I have a question regarding the template. Is it glued or just fitted?

I am crossing all available fingers my friend.
Most important is that you get fast healthy
- When the Granado can help, she is waiting and when we can be of some help -> we are also here

to @Signet
I installed the jig on a stabile base plate and did not use the pine-sheet - such a base I usually do, so I have stability and also some area to temporary store a part or a tool

I want to express my heart felt gratitude to all the wonderful people on this site for all your good wishes. Thank you so much for your support. It has actually bought some tears to my eyes, and people who know me would say that takes some doing :) . My round of hospital appointments starts on Tuesday with consultations and scans. With what l'm told, surgery should be very soon. I will say no more on the subject for now. God bless you all.

I hope to be starting the CAF Granado in a month or so. Do you feel the thick piece of pine on the bottom is necessary, and recommended by CAF? I would be a bit concerned with the pine warping, or even not quite straight to begin with, while the plywood construction frame, being a closed box, should be very resistant to torsion or warping. I do understand about the weight, though. Just wondering your thoughts.

Sorry, I wrote this as I started with your build from the beginning, and just now saw about your health concerns. Please accept my well-wishes and good results during your health issues. We will all be rooting for you - all of us in your build audience, and more.
Thank you very much Signet and please don't apologise for asking your question. The wood base l added to the jig is not mandatory. I added it solely to give the structure some added weight for stability when working on the frames. Although the model is a good size, it weighs very little. The jig is actually quite sturdy on it's own and it is totally up to you whether to add the base or not. l am having no issues with warping of the pine as it is laminated and about 22 mm thick. l personally find it helps

Hello @Keef, I wish you courage in the difficult ordeals you are going through and a rapid recovery to return to us as quickly as possible.
I have a question regarding the template. Is it glued or just fitted?
Thanks for your support my friend. When you say 'template' are you referring to the hull construction jig? If so it is totally glued, using white wood glue. It all goes together extremely accurately and is very strong

Thank you very much Signet and please don't apologise for asking your question. The wood base l added to the jig is not mandatory. I added it solely to give the structure some added weight for stability when working on the frames. Although the model is a good size, it weighs very little. The jig is actually quite sturdy on it's own and it is totally up to you whether to add the base or not. l am having no issues with warping of the pine as it is laminated and about 22 mm thick. l personally find it helps
For some reason, I didn't even think of using plywood (!!!!). Sure, that wouldn't warp, would provide a good base. I like that you fit the keel to the jig before completing it, and the base will certainly help with that.

Hi Guys. Feeling OK and managed to get the gap closed and the hull frames completed today. The first milestone on this epic journey and l'm really pleased with the result after 3 months of very enjoyable work. The keelson, which is next on the list and stern transom timbers will see the completion of session 1, leading on to the next stage, lower deck cabins, inner hull planking and mortar riders and beam assemblies, which l can't wait to get my teeth into. l'm still waiting for my surgery date but believe it will be quite soon, so that's going to put a hold on things for a while. Hopefully l can complete all of session 1 by then . . . till the next time

DSC07905.JPG

DSC07908.JPG

DSC07909.JPG

DSC07910.JPG

DSC07912.JPG

DSC07911.JPG

DSC07913.JPG

DSC07914.JPG

DSC07923.JPG

DSC07924.JPG

DSC07925.JPG

DSC07926.JPG

DSC07927.JPG

DSC07928.JPG

DSC07929.JPG

DSC07930.JPG

Bonjour @Keef, félicitations pour votre construction du Granado.
Avant de coller les couples, vous insérerez des clous sur chaque couple, comme @Uwek l'a très bien fait sur son modèle.

Back