HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

The frames need the keel as their backbone

IMG-9218.jpg

IMG-9219.jpg

IMG-9220.jpg

IMG-9237.jpg

Visible at the stem construction is a joint which is at an area thicker than th eothers - it was caused by a mistake I did ("3 times cut and still too short") - definitely not caused by the kit - I used also here on one side black ecoline to pronounce the joints (although in the original structure, there was no caulking between the wooden parts) - it was the first and it will be the last time I will try to pronounce joints at the sterm or post structure...... :eek:
In addition I had to open the joint once more, already when the glue was dry - double sh....

IMG_0078.jpg

a second time I would do it better :mad:

IMG_0079.jpg

I have to accept it and live with it ...... Sick

IMG_0080.jpg

Here my joints of the elements are much better (btw: no ecoline used here)

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

all three elements pre-prepared

IMG_0091.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued

Now it was time to prepare the jig, which is part of the kit, to give the keel and the frames a home

First of all, in order to get a total view I made a dry fitting of all jig elements, also to understand the way the jig is constructed.
Until now no drop of glue or any screw was used. The jig is completely produced by laser cut good quality plywood elements

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Every element is fitting very good

IMG_0073.jpg

with the overall existing "windows" a future check of the sit of each frame on top of the keel can be made

IMG_0074.jpg

every frame will be aligned by minimum two horizontal levels - at bow and stern there are three levels

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

As usual I will install and fix the jig on top of a wooden board

Too late for a nice front row seat, so I'll take cattle class instead. Sick
It's so easy to see why many modelers fall victim to the POF build-art.
I appreciate the background info you're providing. Thumbsup

Many thanks for all the kind words and likes received
OK - I have put some more chairs into the first row, so that everybody will have a seat whe requested.
And I will fill the fridge in my workshop with some beer (when our two turtles left the fridge after their winter rest), fill the espresso machine with fresh beans, will store some chips ..... it will be funny ;)

today onyl a fast update about the jig - I installed under the jig one stronger board amd fixed the base of the jig with some screws - now it is really stabile a fixed very well

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

In moment I am planning to install the center parts of the jig, visible in the photo at the top, later on. First I want to fix the keel with stem and post and install all the half frames at the bow ( < frame 8) and stern first (> frame 45).
Without the middle parts I think I have a better visability and access

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....

Starting in the meantime already the stern structure

the wing transom and the four transom elements which will be installed at the inner sternpost are cnc milled the last cant frame #53 is laser cut - here still with the laser marks for bevelling

IMG-9263.jpg

and now the same bevelled

IMG-9264.jpg

IMG-9265.jpg

a very early dryfit of the parts

IMG-9268.jpg

going further with dry fitting of the transoms and the next cant frames (up to #49)

IMG_0099.jpg

the frames are until now only fastly bevelled with my JET sander, not cleaned not finalized - only to get a feeling of how good these parts are fitting on top of the keel and inside the jig

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

now we know why this jig has the windows .....

IMG_0103.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest in this log .... to be continued .....

jedziemy dalej z suchym montażem rygli i kolejnych ram przechyłki (do #49)

View attachment 300879

ramy są do tej pory tylko szybko ukosowane za pomocą mojej szlifierki JET, nie oczyszczone nie sfinalizowane - tylko po to, aby poczuć, jak dobrze te części pasują na kilu i wewnątrz przyrządu

View attachment 300880

View attachment 300881

teraz wiemy, dlaczego ten przyrząd ma okna .....

View attachment 300882

Wielkie dzięki za zainteresowanie tym dziennikiem .... ciąg dalszy .....
Witaj
Super robota , czekam z niecierpliwością na postęp
Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Great job, I look forward to the progress
Greetings Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
I am finding it difficult to remove all the lazar char on my model. I need to dedicate more time to sandpapering.
Ja Ja the sanding and cleaning of the frames is taking some time

I have the advantage, that I have a very good spindle sander for the most of the meat, afterwards by hand with a good sanding block. The final sanding will come after all frames are fixed and the complete hull will get the final touch

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

On these two photos you can see on one side the frames after the spindle sander - and the other after pre-sanding by hand - before a further adjustment will be necessary, especially at the basis where the frames are sitting on the keel
So step by step.........

to be continued ..... and mayn thanks for your interest, all your comments and the likes received

Back