HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

slow and steady

I decided to prepare further the frames, before I finaly prepare and fix the cant frames and transoms.....

So in moment I am making a lot of sanding-dust

up to frame #37 they are already "handsanded", frames #23 to #36 are only sanded with the JET

IMG_0110.jpg

view direction to the stern

IMG_0111.jpg

and towards the bow

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

also the accurate location of each frame on the height has still to be fine-tuned

IMG_0114.jpg

still a lot to do with the frames, but it is a good feeling to see step by step and frame by frame the growing of a ships hull

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued

To have a break during the partly boring pre-sanding, I decided to make also parallel the bolting of the frames.

I made the bolts in the for me usual method with copper nails - just thought about the new method introduced by Oliver, but I have not the patience in moment, so let us make the bolts "conventional" ..... with 50 nails per frame so in total also more than 2.000 "bolts"

IMG_0118.jpg

also the single frames the chocks have to be fixed with bolts

IMG_0119.jpg

Due to the fact, that I still do not know which parts I will plank on outside or inside, I decided to make the bolting of the frames everywhere

IMG_0121.jpg

not really much is visible, but if you take a closer look - I know, that they are there - and we are building the models for ourself (and some interested modeling friends, like you all......

IMG_0121a.jpg

many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

To have a break during the partly boring pre-sanding, I decided to make also parallel the bolting of the frames.

I made the bolts in the for me usual method with copper nails - just thought about the new method introduced by Oliver, but I have not the patience in moment, so let us make the bolts "conventional" ..... with 50 nails per frame so in total also more than 2.000 "bolts"

View attachment 302678

also the single frames the chocks have to be fixed with bolts

View attachment 302679

Due to the fact, that I still do not know which parts I will plank on outside or inside, I decided to make the bolting of the frames everywhere

View attachment 302680

not really much is visible, but if you take a closer look - I know, that they are there - and we are building the models for ourself (and some interested modeling friends, like you all......

View attachment 302681

many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

Nice work Uwe!
I decided early on that I would not pin the frames fore and aft, but that I would pin the joints outside and in - this will be done when out of the jig.
As you rightly say - it is up to each modeller to decide how much detail to show. I did fully pin 'King's Fisher', but now she's finished, you can barely make out the pinning anyway!

Ted

Nice work Uwe!
I decided early on that I would not pin the frames fore and aft, but that I would pin the joints outside and in - this will be done when out of the jig.
As you rightly say - it is up to each modeller to decide how much detail to show. I did fully pin 'King's Fisher', but now she's finished, you can barely make out the pinning anyway!

Ted
Hallo Ted,
a very good point.
I just checked your (btw amazing) Kingfisher model -
I hope, that due to the fact that the space between the frames is getting bigger to the top, these aft and fore bolting is visible at ther upper half of the frames. and especially in the area at the bow and stern and not midships.

frames1.JPG

not much to show, only some more progress on the frame sanding and bolting
Still everything dry fitted - I plan to prepare as much as possible and make the final installation on the keel in once....

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest in my building log .... to be continued ....

Knight head and hawse pieces are next to be prepared. and afterwards the cant frames.
Only when these are fixed the square frames can be installed.

Unbenannt.JPG

The elements for both sides are prepared - at the top you can see the temporary jigs (plywood) for the haswe pieces segment

IMG_0127.jpg

The elements "a" and "f" are cnc milled, all the others laser cut

IMG_0128.jpg

the pieces are pre sanded with my JET

IMG_0129.jpg

the right segment is already fixed with glue, the thickness of the distance elements between the hawse pieces have to be sanded in order to get the correct angles

IMG_0130.jpg

hand sanded in the jig

IMG_0132.jpg

for removing out of the jig I had to destroy the plywood

IMG_0133.jpg

coming close to the final form - when the complete hull is finished and out of the main jig the final form will be prepared

IMG_0134.jpg

and the same from inside

IMG_0135.jpg

now the other side has to be prepared .... so to be continued

Many Thanks for your interest - see you soon

Knight head and hawse pieces are next to be prepared. and afterwards the cant frames.
Only when these are fixed the square frames can be installed.

View attachment 304140

The elements for both sides are prepared - at the top you can see the temporary jigs (plywood) for the haswe pieces segment

View attachment 304129

The elements "a" and "f" are cnc milled, all the others laser cut

View attachment 304130

the pieces are pre sanded with my JET

View attachment 304131

the right segment is already fixed with glue, the thickness of the distance elements between the hawse pieces have to be sanded in order to get the correct angles

View attachment 304132

hand sanded in the jig

View attachment 304133

for removing out of the jig I had to destroy the plywood

View attachment 304134

coming close to the final form - when the complete hull is finished and out of the main jig the final form will be prepared

View attachment 304135

and the same from inside

View attachment 304136

now the other side has to be prepared .... so to be continued

Many Thanks for your interest - see you soon
And here I thought I had it bad with my Bluenose bow pieces... Nice job!

Many Thanks for your kind words and also all the likes received - much appreciated

The other side was also done in the same way

On the left still in the jig

IMG_0137.jpg

now we have the time to see the whole truth - are the two sides symetrical ?!? - they have to be

IMG_0138.jpg

only the keel is missing in between, but this would be the view to the bow

IMG_0139.jpg

and inside?

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

first check in the jig

IMG_0142.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest in my work and building log of my HMS Granado ..... to be continued with the cant frames #1 to #7

Many Thanks for your kind words and also all the likes received - much appreciated

The other side was also done in the same way

On the left still in the jig

View attachment 304245

now we have the time to see the whole truth - are the two sides symetrical ?!? - they have to be

View attachment 304246

only the keel is missing in between, but this would be the view to the bow

View attachment 304247

and inside?

View attachment 304248

View attachment 304250

first check in the jig

View attachment 304249

Many Thanks for your interest in my work and building log of my HMS Granado ..... to be continued with the cant frames #1 to #7
it's looks great work

The next and last missing frames are the cant frames at the bow

the laser lines for the sanding are fitting very well - also in principle the frames by themself into the jig

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

step by step I am getting ready, so I can start to fix the elements permanently on the keel

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued ....

Back