1/350 USS Idaho BB-42 kit bashed from Hobby Boss USS Arizona with plans in Polish/English

In 2012, my family and I traveled from Post Falls to southern Idaho, about 450 mi (725 km). My oldest son, 14yrs at the time, was participating in a state wide football tournament. We did sight seeing, Craters of the Moon, the State Capitol, the Boise Zoo, but what I wanted to see was a military museum. The one we found was somewhat small, tanks and armor vehicles outside and military 'stuff' inside, but what caught my eye was two model ships, USS Idaho BB-42 and the USS Boise CL-47!
I vowed to build both, however the only kits available were resin and way out of my price range, $350 and $225 respectively.
So, I said 'someday' and left it at that.
Fast forward to 2019, one of my fellow modelers suggested kit bashing the Arizona into the Idaho and he sent be some plans I believe are Russian printed in Polish/English!
And now Covid-19, you would think I could get a lot of modeling done with working from home for over a month now. Not the case, however, my wife did let me purchase the Hobby Boss 1/350 USS Arizona! Let the kit bash begin!

12apr2020 007.jpg12apr2020 008.jpg

This will be a great project - I am looking forward which part you will bash and where you add details

I need a set of working drawings, so, I used a light box to align the 8 1/2 x 11 copies after I cut them and taped them together.

30apr2020 002.jpg

Then I needed to correct for scale.

30apr2020 003.jpg

This is mock-up showing some of the corrections that will be made as well as the line drawing I will use to reshape the hull.

23apr2020 009.jpg
30apr2020 005.jpg
Not all the drawing were the same scale, so I need to reduce them to match 1/350.

30apr2020II 001.jpg
More to follow...

Interesting and challenging.
Lots of work to be done and Im a pulling a chair to watch it been built.

Have you done any more with the hull? I am building BB 40 USS New Mexico which my dad served on in WW2? I

SigEp, so what is the status of the model since i sent you the drawings?
my OBB kitbash thread http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=165105

trbingham, what model are you using for the New Mexico?

David: I am using a thoroughly re-done Banner 1/350 Arizona kit which I cut up a couple of years ago. Now that I am into decking the hull I realized I could have done a better job. So, I am considering starting over with another 1/50 kit and not being as aggressive in cutting material away. I am using Booklet of General Plans for my measurements and also have 1/350th Profil Morskie plans, although they vary in some ways from BGP drawings. I made a 429th Revell Arizona to New Mex kitbash in late 90s. Turned out OK, but many more #D printed parts are now available than were then - especially weapons.​

Bryian, the New Mexico class bow is a combination of clipper(upper part) & ram(lower part).​

can you post a picture(s) of what you have done to the banner model before you get another 1 to see what you have done so far? what did you do to build up the bow from the Arizona to the New Mexico? i presume you redid all the hull casements from the Arizona to the New Mexico? where did you get the New Mexico BOGP from & is it in digital format or paper format? i did a kitbash of Revell's 1/429 scale Arizona into the Mississippi back in the late 70's which i still have till i build new corrected versions(ww2 & post war missile gunnery training ship AG-128) then use the old hull for another OBB.

Davidp - I made copies both 8.5x11 and to 1/350 scale and placed them in a binder

Trbingham - I found a guy at Shapeways and asked him to 3D print the bow, 01 deck and superstructures for my Idaho and he did. Also, checkout ModelFunShipyard at Shapeways for New Mexico parts as well as Model Monkey

25jan2023 027.jpg25jan2023 026.jpg

combine the 2 linked BOGP drawings together will give you a complete set
BB-42 USS Idaho Booklet of General Plans (1945) (version 1) https://archive.org/details/bb42bogp1945
BB-42 USS Idaho Booklet of General Plans (1945) (version 2) https://archive.org/details/bb42bogp1945v2
what is the diameter of your #2 14" barbette?
what type of 3d resin was used to print that?
figure on replacing the 3d printed yard arm with another material like brass or whatever.

I'll have to check with ModelFunShipyard about the resin, but it looks like a filament style, if that helps. I haven't decided if I will use these pieces for reference and scratch build or paint and call it good.

Back