16th Century Mast & Spar Colors

I've just started building the MarisStella Ragusian Carrack, which, except for unseen bulkheads and supports, is a totally walnut wood kit. Even the masts and spars. For a number of reasons, I'm thinking of replacing these included walnut dowels:
  1. I'd like more variation in color, and all walnut is too much of one color, I think.
  2. At least one included dowel is too short.
  3. Some included dowels are way oversize and require too much material removal.
So, I'm off to HobbyLobby, who has a great selection of dowels from 1/8" to 1/2" (and more) every 1/16"!

My question here is what color should the masts and spars be on this 16th century ship? With British ships like the Victory, masts are beige to yellow ochre, while masts are black. I doubt this would apply to a 16th century Mediterranean ship from Dubrovnik, but wonder if there might be some other standard? Or would they all just have been natural color wood of whatever species used? I understand Fir was most often used, in which case a light brown color would seem appropriate. But would they have been colored by any other treatment or material? Or just spar varnish?

Hi Signet

Appears no-one who has the knowledge is answering your question so I'll put my thoughts down.

At the time of the Carrack I would have thought that spars would have been oiled, possibly with a tar / oil mixture, rather than painted. Tar is anti bacterial & anti fungal and such a coating would soak in minimising water absorption while still allowing the wood to breath and dry out any water that does get in preventing rot.

If so, over time and many coats, the spar timber would develop a very dark colour. I remember once seeing a replica schooner with oiled spars that were nearly black.

As I said, just my thoughts.

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate the information and opinion. After all, few of us were around in the 16th century, so definitive information is hard to get. ;-)

I agree, that sounds logical. It would also agree with the British navy's color scheme of painting spars black (or maybe, as you say, they were just tarred and locked black). You mention spars only; do you think masts would be similar, or would they have been more natural in color?

I would paint the masts and spars burnt sienna or burnt umber (leaning more to the darker burnt umber) acrylic color and coat with a flat sheen polyurethane…but that is my take on the period…based on my build of the HMS Revenge 1577 race built galleon…

I would paint the masts and spars burnt sienna or burnt umber (leaning more to the darker burnt umber) acrylic color and coat with a flat sheen polyurethane…but that is my take on the period…based on my build of the HMS Revenge 1577 race built galleon…
Thank you, Jim. I'm beginning to regret getting new dowels, rather than using the included (but oversize) walnut ones. I'd still like to see a bit of contrast, though, so not sure what to do.

Take a look at period paintings with ships- Carpaccio is a good artist to start with. Most look to have very little paint, and mostly oiled or tarred-

I've just started building the MarisStella Ragusian Carrack, which, except for unseen bulkheads and supports, is a totally walnut wood kit. Even the masts and spars. For a number of reasons, I'm thinking of replacing these included walnut dowels:
  1. I'd like more variation in color, and all walnut is too much of one color, I think.
  2. At least one included dowel is too short.
  3. Some included dowels are way oversize and require too much material removal.
So, I'm off to HobbyLobby, who has a great selection of dowels from 1/8" to 1/2" (and more) every 1/16"!

My question here is what color should the masts and spars be on this 16th century ship? With British ships like the Victory, masts are beige to yellow ochre, while masts are black. I doubt this would apply to a 16th century Mediterranean ship from Dubrovnik, but wonder if there might be some other standard? Or would they all just have been natural color wood of whatever species used? I understand Fir was most often used, in which case a light brown color would seem appropriate. But would they have been colored by any other treatment or material? Or just spar varnish?
1. In general, there were no paints in the 16th century used on ships. Painting was totally up to the captains. The owners would have kept costs to a bare minimum and never painted anything. At best, the yards would (maybe once) have had a coating of Stockholm tar.
2. Make the masts/yards from maple. There are better woulds than maple to use, but they cost a little money. Walnut is great for furniture but is probably the WORST wood for ship models for a dozen reasons. Commercial dowels are next to useless. Go to a hardwood store and get some FINE GRAINED wood. There are a dozen different types.

Last edited:
Thank you, Jim. I'm beginning to regret getting new dowels, rather than using the included (but oversize) walnut ones. I'd still like to see a bit of contrast, though, so not sure what to do.
If you got new dowels that are light color then go to a stain…try looking at MinWax (or other brands) for stain colors that fit your needs…for example there is a dark pine color stain that looks like pine tar that I often use…then apply the coat of flat poly…

Take a look at period paintings with ships- Carpaccio is a good artist to start with. Most look to have very little paint, and mostly oiled or tarred-
Good period information. Thanks.

Found another pic, apparently the full painting of the one you referenced:
b47e571a215b2ab4d9691fa5538fb4a1.jpg

Hi Signet

Appears no-one who has the knowledge is answering your question so I'll put my thoughts down.

At the time of the Carrack I would have thought that spars would have been oiled, possibly with a tar / oil mixture, rather than painted. Tar is anti bacterial & anti fungal and such a coating would soak in minimising water absorption while still allowing the wood to breath and dry out any water that does get in preventing rot.

If so, over time and many coats, the spar timber would develop a very dark colour. I remember once seeing a replica schooner with oiled spars that were nearly black.

As I said, just my thoughts.
Hallo @mgdawson
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back