18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways 1:64 Bashed by Steven

So you're turning this into a scratch built model? I think I'd need a planer, a milling machine, a CNC machine, and a 3D printer. Already have the mini table saw, lathe, steam box, and scroll saw. Any excuse will do.

I think I'd need a planer, a milling machine, a CNC machine, and a 3D printer.
with all those tools in mind, we would need another Admiral ;) I think my admiral will not be happy the ask...m better stick to kits build :cool:

On a serious note, it is a wrong impression that a scratch build would need all the tools you listed! For sure CNC machine and a 3D printer. A milling machine is a good choice but absolutely not required! Below are questions for yourself.
  • What tasks will I be doing on the CNC machine and 3D printer? The most important question
  • Do I know how to use either of the tools? How long will I need to learn those? Will I be able to use machines on my own without help?
  • How much will cost consumable and replacement parts? Where will I purchase them?
  • After all, ask do I really need those or if it is just a good thing to have them.
Don't get me wrong, these are awesome tools, but...the caveat is the simple purchase (after Admiral's permission) will not make you happy if you will not use them.
Do you plan to process your own grown timber? Why would a planner become a necessity for a scratch build? You can purchase billets of wood and cut them to dimensions on your tablesaw. But before you will purchase a planer, don't forget about the band saw.

All I am trying to say is NO, you don't have to buy all those tools to scratch build, it is not necessary! To start building from scratch, obtain the plans\drafts, purchase the material, lay out the bulkheads, and...use a scrollsaw\jigsaw to cut them out. ;) This is where the scratch building starts, IMHO

A pity I am not at home to respond with a build advance and not only a remark.

understanding the previous remarks about scratch building, mine I consider a “kit bash” as I heavily rely on the information provide.

Yes, I do have a soft spot for tools and surely have more than what my 10 thumbs allow to do proper justice. My intention is to use this build as a practice and in due course hope to achieve a better use of them. After all I grew up with my father’s admonition : “There is a right tool to do each job properly“.

Yesterday I went to visit the Rogers Collection at the US Navy Academy at Preble Hall, Annapolis, MD.

Pictures can be found at:

US Navy Museum Annapolis, MD

It has been a long while that I have reported my “progress”, been busy with work, family, travel and other interest as Inwill explain further along.

AlthoughI enjoyed what I was doing the end result was not good.

Took good care to assemble the parts but my lack of precision with the jewel’s saw came to bite me at the end. (A scroll saw due to it’s size was out of the question)IMG_2728.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg

Then came the real time consuming event, the purchase of a 3D printer.

Which of course the first print was a boat ( Benchy).IMG_1079.jpegIMG_1169.jpeg
A whole fleet of them

IMG_3413.jpeg

Toys for the grandkids and other items.

The results were very encouraging, so now I am waiting for some more AYC wood …. and time to re-start the project.

This will get done.

Good luck! Progress, no matter how small, is still progress. Looking forward to seeing this materialize.

Hello everyone and welcome to my build.

This is the place for some background and statement of build objectives.

As background, I started my first wood model ship 36 years ago (unfortunately unfinished due to a foreign job relocation) and only recently recently finishing an Occre Calella, previously an Occre Buenos Aires tram plus an unfinished Occre cross section.

This has been, now close to retirement, the time to start a hobby and ship building was a no thought proposition for me. After all in my youth I was a Sea Scout, built a small sailing boat (from a Popular Mechanics plan set), went to Antarctica in a wooden motor/sail vessel (R/V Hero).

Very early I purchased Occre’s Endurance to begin a stash of future builds (affection that seems quite common among modelers ).

Then an incredible sale from Model Expo tempted me to buy the Longboat and decided to build it prior to the Endurance, as practice.
Hallo @Steven B
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back