19th Century Four-Oared Yawl by BenD - Falkonet - 1:24 scale

Hello everyone,

I once again shoved my other builds aside for an easy to build kit. I bought the Falkonet Viking ship last fall and had a lot of fun building it. I cruised through that kit in about 3 weeks. I have a feeling this kit will be the same but will take a little longer. Sometimes I just want something straightforward to build.

The Rope will be replaced of course, though it is some of the better kit stuff I've seen. The sail material is very fine cloth but there is hardly enough. I am looking into pre-maid sail options. If I am brave enough I may try making my own.

Yawl 1.jpgYawl 2.jpgYawl 3.jpgYawl 4.jpgYawl 5.jpgYawl 6.jpgYawl 7.jpgYawl 8.jpgYawl 9.jpgYawl 11.jpgYawl 12.jpg

I am looking forward to see your building log.
An interesting kit btw

Hi Ben
I built this little 1/64 Yawl from VM Models while waiting for some bits.IMG_20220328_172645.jpgIMG_20220328_172755.jpgIMG_20220328_172513.jpg
I used silkspan, painted with w/b acrylic and stitching lines made with a 2h pencil.
Maybe of interest, Yawls in here in Ireland are nearly always double ended.
yawl.jpg

@Jack Jäger Very nice little Yawl.

I've been putting all of my modeling to the side lately. I want to get back to this little kit, I almost have one side planked... feels like I only glue one or two planks a week. I like the silkspan sails idea, I will have to try it out at the very least.

The beauty of silkspan is that even after you have painted it and marked it with a pencil when you
spray it with water it will turn into a very manipulatable fabric which will, when dry, keep it's adjusted shape.

I managed to glue one side of the planks on. I gave up on using PVA very early realizing it was difficult and time-consuming even with CA glue at tough spots. Using just CA glue the job was easy and I finished most of the planking in one night. Now I need to carefully clean up the glue stains.

Yawl 18.JPGYawl 17.JPGYawl 19.JPG

I managed to glue one side of the planks on. I gave up on using PVA very early realizing it was difficult and time-consuming even with CA glue at tough spots. Using just CA glue the job was easy and I finished most of the planking in one night. Now I need to carefully clean up the glue stains.

View attachment 302629View attachment 302628View attachment 302630
Hello Ben, great progress, very clean accurate job. I build this kit a few years back

View attachment 302629View attachment 302628View attachment 302630
Good afternoon Ben. Excellent planking. It is a good looking model to build. Cheers Grant

The planking is done and the hull is off the planking jig. Somehow I managed to glue some of the jig onto the hull but it eventually all came loose. Now it might be time for some wipe-on poly!

I think I'm getting the hang of my new camera. The photo editing software that came with the camera was also really decent. It's easy to white balance and sharpen up the images.

Yawl 20.JPGYawl 21.JPG

Looking very good - and promising for more.....

The hull is now finished!

It was a bit of a battle to get the photo-etch parts glued on. It's no fun when the metal parts slip out of your tweezers and get CA everywhere... Everything else went together easily enough.

Yawl 22.JPGYawl 23.JPGYawl 24.JPGYawl 25.JPG

Sails are up next on the workbench. I photocopied the sails from the plan and cut them out so it would be easier to work with them and measure. I almost wish I could use them like this.

Yawl 26.JPG

I've been experimenting with a lot of materials and so far the best results are from cloth. I soak them in diluted white PVA and hang them to dry. After that, I iron them so they are perfectly flat. Below are two failed samples, the sail-shaped one has pencil marks and the uncut sheet has a lot of fraying. I've made more sheets ready to cut that have more PVA to keep the fraying down. I am running low on cloth, I couldn't find anything decent from nearby fabric shops.

Does anyone know where to buy some good sailcloth?

Yawl 27.JPG

Back