5" Desk Top Disk Sander

Don: You should be able to clamp the sander to any table top up to about 2-3/4" thick! Here's a series of photos. The first one is the clamp itself. It has a bend in it to form a right angle piece that attaches to the sander (white arrow). The second photo shows the bottom of the sander and the slot that the right angle bend fits into (white arrow). The next photos are a series showing how the clamp attaches. Tighten it down and you're good to go! Hope this helps.

As far as using the sander, I just leave the paper template in place, cut the joints long and sand by eyeball to the line. No protractor needed!sand1.jpgsand2.jpgsand3.jpgsand4.jpgsand6.jpg

I had this sander but could never get it to stay mounted, the clamp kept falling off, I did like the varible speed HOW DID YOU KEEP IT MOUNTED, I need a disk sander badly basiclly for sanding joints persicely was going to get the model expo one, but looking at what you guys say rethinking this as I am going to menards this SATURDAY if you guys can tell me how you mounted it i will get it again, ALSO while on the topic WHEN SANDING THE JOINTS FOR FUTTOCKS DO YOU USE A PROTRACTOR ON THE PLANS TO GET THE CORRECT ANGLE OR DO YOU DO IT BY SIGHT, ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Don
Hi Don
On the laser cut frames for my CAF Enterprise, I have been using my Byrnes disc sander to make the laser cut on the futtocks 90 degrees, and also to clean up the laser char on the joints. I make sure the table on the sander is slippery ( a little wax ) and do it by hand/sight... Very, very slowly on each futtock joint...it-reminds me of putting in an aneurysm clip!
I get the piece as close to the disc as I can, usually less than 0.5 mm, then just touch it to the sander (180 grain paper). I've discovered that despite cleaning saw dust off the disc frequently, I need to change sanding discs after sanding the futtocks for 10 frames ( about 18 futtocks/frame ). If the disc is not renewed, one has to push harder and either burn the wood or take off more material than intended.
Alex R

Donfarr, if you mean the 5" disk sander from my pevious posts, I do not mount it. I do not need to have it mounted. I keep it portable moving it constantly artound my crowded and small working desk. Small items I sand - no need to have it mounted. By the way I got a work bench clamp with it but I never used it.

Last edited:
My wife bought me a 5” sander and 1” belt sander combo for Christmas. The sand paper came in but not the sander. May be here by the 3rd of January.
my old belt sander combo is so loud it runs me out of the shop! It also would vibrate off the table if not clamped down.

Hi all, I finally got the 5 inch disk sander from MENARDS, $39.00 and this time I read the instructions (THANKS DOC) it is clamed in place will show a picture tomorrow, another thing I like about it besides the price is the size with my hobby room getting more and more cramped it fits in nicely, and you can see what a difference it makes in the joints of my Le Rochefort. Don

My wife bought me a 5” sander and 1” belt sander combo for Christmas. The sand paper came in but not the sander. May be here by the 3rd of January.
my old belt sander combo is so loud it runs me out of the shop! It also would vibrate off the table if not clamped down.
I just bought one of these on Amazon for about $150. I have not used it yet. I’ll update later with a report.

If you thought about purchasing one of these but just put it off.... Menards has 11% off right now on everything you buy and they still sell them. Everyone who bought this item got it from Menards. $39.95 plus tax minus 11%. I think it was a great purchase for model ship building and have owned mine for more than a year without any problems.
sander.jpg

I just got mine this PAST SATURDAY, it was the second one i bought as I DID NOT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND HAD IT MOUNTED THE WRONG WAY THANKS TO DOC BLAKE I GOT ANOTHER ONE AND ITWORKS LIKE A CHARM SMALL AND COMPACT LIGHTWEIGHT AND VARIABLE SPEED JUST LOVE IT. Don PS MOTTO JUST READ THE INSTRUCTIONS

Does anyone know any place I can get this in Europe or that ships to Europe?

If you thought about purchasing one of these but just put it off.... Menards has 11% off right now on everything you buy and they still sell them. Everyone who bought this item got it from Menards. $39.95 plus tax minus 11%. I think it was a great purchase for model ship building and have owned mine for more than a year without any problems.
sander.jpg

I missed the 11% sale, but used up all my rebate forms, so I got it for $3.34. Set her up and she runs just fine. Perfect for the model room. Hooked her up to the vacuum attachment. Seems to catch almost all the dust. And - I really do like the variable speed. It can be slowed down to sand plastic without melting it into a blob.
I think for the price, it will do sanding on any model related stuff I need, at a very reasonable price. Sanding a 1/8" X 1/4" stick to length doesn't require a commercial or industrial grade tool. If it does, I'll go out to the shop and use my 1 horse 8" X 48" belt X 10" disk sander. That thing will do 2 X 4's.

EJ
Thanks for posting this.

Back