6 in 1 Mini lathe

on those lathes is there a pass through on the head stock so you can machine longer pieces? or do you have to cut the stock material down to fit?

YES, but even this is just around 8mm, so it`s very limited too. The Chuck is not so tough in the original version, better to order the full metal version of the machine!

Regards
Gehard

"But, to make a long story short, i would not buy the machine again, there are better and longer lasting machines to get. Even if they are more expensive and need more space!"
I agree. Only use the lathe (not easy or quick to reconfigurate)but as I have acquired various proxxon machines over recent years, I may one day buy an additional lathe for metalwork. Proxxon may not be the best but I need local purchase or technical support. Thus I recently bought an Einhall 200 bandsaw locally because all the better options had to be imported and had no local support. This was lucky as it had a distorted base and was exchanged by dealer without argument. ( Note the local price was more than double that was quoted in EU or USA) The model is often cheaper than the tools but us oldies have less time and patients for repetitive manual work and therefore tend to accumulate power tools
]

There
on those lathes is there a pass through on the head stock so you can machine longer pieces? or do you have to cut the stock material down to fit?
There was a right angled plate on the tail stock with a hole to steady the bead. I removed that. It's now mounted on a new rail so I can work on lengths of 50cm. I have a few different tail stocks. The chuck width is the problem, it would be a really useful machine with a larger chuck. You can get Chinese 4 jaw chucks but don't know if they'll fit the bead polisher type of lathe. I assume the drill chuck it comes with is push fit but I don't want to bend the spindle trying to pull it off?

@Dcox1961 Hello,

Do you have in mind the tool you consider to purchase (if any)? It makes more sense to discuss the exact tool rather than general\similar. The manufactures should have specifications of their tools.

I have one one of these and they are nearly useless. It can turn wood but not tapers. The brackets used to hold the various components together tend to slip all the the time.
The Sherline, Taig and Unimat are all good small machines. I have the Taig that I purchased on Craig’s list for $200 with all the add ons for the lathe. Unimat is now a collectors item and are very expensive. The Sherline is the best of them but you seldom see used ones for sale. Keep in mind the tooling will end up costing all most as much as the lathe.

Jim

Attachments

• 41128AA2-9890-480D-A827-490A85A04E62.jpeg
    41128AA2-9890-480D-A827-490A85A04E62.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 34
@Dcox1961 Hello,

Do you have in mind the tool you consider to purchase (if any)? It makes more sense to discuss the exact tool rather than general\similar. The manufactures should have specifications of their tools.
Just a generic 4 jaw chuck, Ali express also ebay. It was on the same page as the various tailstocks. With this stuff there's no information so buying is a risk either way. Doesn't give any clues whether it's threaded or push fit. But I still don't know how to remove the supplied drill chuck. If I can remove it I'll have a better idea of what might fit.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 9
Just a generic 4 jaw chuck, Ali express also ebay. It was on the same page as the various tailstocks. With this stuff there's no information so buying is a risk either way. Doesn't give any clues whether it's threaded or push fit. But I still don't know how to remove the supplied drill chuck. If I can remove it I'll have a better idea of what might fit.

That chuck on the picture is for the Unimat 1 and has an M10 thread from memory. The Chinese copies might have the same connection.
János

That chuck on the picture is for the Unimat 1 and has an M10 thread from memory. The Chinese copies might have the same connection.
János
Thanks. That's not going to work. I did once see a bead lathe (the same sort) on ebay which had a 3 jaw chuck. So somewhere there is one that is designed for it. A 6mm chuck would be more useful than the 4 fitted.

János
BUT: Be careul, this is not a common M10 thread, but a M10 x 0.25 as I remember. So dont try to use it with a M1 x 1 Chuck! Unimat does have the full metal set too, with all necessary parts including a 4-jaw chuck https://www.thecooltool.com/zubehoer/ml/

Regards
Gerhard

BUT: Be careul, this is not a common M10 thread, but a M10 x 0.25 as I remember. So dont try to use it with a M1 x 1 Chuck! Unimat does have the full metal set too, with all necessary parts including a 4-jaw chuck https://www.thecooltool.com/zubehoer/ml/

Regards
Gerhard
Thanks Gerhard. That one appears to be M12 x 1. If I can get a thread reducer, say an M10 that will fit one of the ebay items I can use the existing chuck to drive it. An M6 to M10 would do because I can mill off the threads to fit the drill chuck. Now I have to trawl the net although I have a marine engineer mate can make one, he's currently on lockdown in Liverpool so should have plenty of time on board. I'll put this thread on watch so I can post the results.

Back