900-Ton Barque Completed

Monday, 18th May, 2020
900-ton barque
Today, I fitted the twisted wire edging around the inner base, and put the model on it for a trial view. Everything is looking OK, and the polished base really enhances the model. As it is a fictitious ship, built to the normal specifications of the era (about 1870), I will be calling it Christine, after my wife. I am very pleased with this model, considering the fact that I never meant to complete it beyond the empty hull. It was just intended to be used as a basis for an article on how to make hulls the easy way - no saws or machine tools involved. It was made from thin slices of balsa wood, cut to shape with a scalpel, and then glued together. I then experimented with an easy method of copper plating, and I was so delighted with the result, that I decided to push on and complete the model.
At the moment, I am now almost out of glue, and today the postman did not deliver the order that I placed on the 13th, so I guess I can now take a rest, and maybe tidy up a bit! :D

Completed 1 (Large).JPG

An excellent looking ship Christine is, and display makes her stand tall.

Hope the postman brings your glue so you can stick with your building hobby.

I see this post was edited because it is for completed models only - I thought it was completed!:D

I know, not that it matters, but it doesn't alter the fact that it is indeed finished!:)

Yes, but Donnie was asking for only photos of completed builds be posted in this specific forum.

Your completed photo is still posted showing your fine work.

We removed the photo of the thin balsa wood used for hull design from the thread.

Bob, I did not get to see the thin balsa wood. I assigned the task to my new Admin assistant to go through the gallery and tidy things up. Your ship IS included in the Gallery in all of your Bob Wilson Collections. You have five (5) Merchant Ship Collection Pages and your Christine is on your Collection Page 5 (with a total now of 57 miniature steam and sail online with a dedicated Collection)

Donald

Now as a side note about the Gallery. Bob, we have been having a lot of people submitting build logs into the gallery that are NOT complete- ships that were half-finished, rigging incomplete, and naked frames, models still being built on the workbench. . . . So I gave the task to Kurt Konrath my new Admin IT assistant to remove any content that is not 100% completed models. He was only following my instructions as he has yet to gain the familiarity of all the modeler's personalities.

Hi Donnie,
I knew the model was still there, and just the thin slice of balsa wood image had gone. Just wondered why, as the model was complete and the balsa wood was just showing a piece of it long before it was finished. It doesn't matter all that much. :)
Bob

Bob...this is a wonderful little vessel... clean(as usual), and rightly proportioned.
The coppering is magnificent in this scale. I love it, and I am glad you finished her and named her after you wife.

I just love your work.

Rob

Monday, 18th May, 2020
900-ton barque
Today, I fitted the twisted wire edging around the inner base, and put the model on it for a trial view. Everything is looking OK, and the polished base really enhances the model. As it is a fictitious ship, built to the normal specifications of the era (about 1870), I will be calling it Christine, after my wife. I am very pleased with this model, considering the fact that I never meant to complete it beyond the empty hull. It was just intended to be used as a basis for an article on how to make hulls the easy way - no saws or machine tools involved. It was made from thin slices of balsa wood, cut to shape with a scalpel, and then glued together. I then experimented with an easy method of copper plating, and I was so delighted with the result, that I decided to push on and complete the model.
At the moment, I am now almost out of glue, and today the postman did not deliver the order that I placed on the 13th, so I guess I can now take a rest, and maybe tidy up a bit! :D

View attachment 151975
An absolutly amazing build! Makes me think about all this vessels that used to trade in the Baltic- North Sea area a hundred years ago.

Back