A/L Cutty Sark

Hi Jim,

See here the real deal. I would suggest to link them with brasswire through the rail and glue them into the deck. In reality they are also going through the rail and fixed in the deck. Hope it helps.
imgp5269.jpg

Last edited:
Building a Billings Cutty. How did you attach deadeyes to rail. This has got me stumped.
Jim
I used thin wire to hold the deadeyes and where they meet the hull inside I drilled a hole through the hull and ran the wire down though it and cut it off flush with the outer hull and pained over the opening. it is not noticeable unless you know the method used and look close.

David,

Fantastic build. Love the detail you are getting.

In the end, would you recommend the book's method of rigging to simplify the modelling process?

Regards,

Peter G.
I found the method a real help with all the needed rigging with the sails on. I could attach the blocks unhindered and run the lines through some very small blocks. I have some big hands and need the extra room to rig lines on both sides of the yard. I did have to be careful with the loose lines running down the mast prior to stepping the mast. After stepped I attached all of the interior lines to the pinrails before I started on the main shrouds. On a typical build you would have all of the standing rigging complete and then try to run all of the working lines to pinrails inside the main shroud lines. This can be tricky with so many lines used when including sails on you build.

I do thank everyone who had such kind words for this build. This was the first build I had tracked all my hours on the bench. It was just over 500 hours so far. I still need to complete the main mast shrouds and complete all the running rigging. I have been sidetracked on the Cutty Sark to build the Black Pearl for my son and a commissioned build of the Endeavour for a gentleman who had an ancestor serving aboard with Captain Cook.

Last edited:
Back