A little bit about carving and a Sovereign of the seas model hand carved in pearwood, in scale 1:72

schifferlbauer

Four weeks before Wolfgang had finnished his model a book was published: The Sovereign of the Seas by Hendrik Busmann.
In this wonderfull book was too the drawing of Paine in big size and we could compare betwen our model and the drawing.
The last pictures of the model.

I hope the pictures say a little more about the ship
Forgive my not so well english, because its´s a long time ago i wrote in this language.

Regards
Willi Meischl (schifferlbauer)

62.JPG63.JPG64.jpg65.jpg66.jpg67.jpg68.jpg

schifferlbauer

Hi Jim, Moxis and Maarten

Thank you for your reply and the compliments.
At first I must tell you Wolfgang Rotter died a view Years ago, just two months after he had finished the Sovereign at the age of 74 Years.
Drawings for the decoration are non, because the was made in size for the model and Wolfgang had stucked them on his pearwood for carving.
I have only made some photographs, like all of the modell of the Sovereign for me to remind me on our work.

Regards
Willi (schifferlbauer

janos

Exceptional work which puts every other Sovereign (including mine) into the shade... Congratulations!
Another aspect which I would like to mention. This has nothing to do with Wolfgang's model, it is as beautiful as it is. This comment does not meant to be critical of Wolfgang's work at all. I just experimented with gold leafing (22 carat gold leaf, not the paint which Wolfgang used) a while ago. I built Royal Yacht Caroline and I also carved her figured head to a bigger scale, about 1:15. Then I leafed this figure head. First I found the leafing incredibly hard to make because of the crevices. (This is obviously not a concern with painting). Then, having done it as well as I could, I realized that the glossy gold surface 'deteriorates' the look of the carving. Many details and the overall appearance looked much better before the gold leaf was applied. Reflexion on the gold surface, however luxurious it is, hides these details so most of the carvings look poor, as they would be cast decorations of a kit, rather than true carvings. So I personally gave up on gold leafing, every decoration and carving I have done since are left bare carved timber.
Janos