• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

A new guys observations of the hobby

  • Thread starter Thread starter Epp
  • Start date Start date
  • Watchers Watchers 20
I can only speak for myself here. I decided from the beginning to abandon the concept of historical accuracy. Drove me nuts. I am a kit builder. So I choose kits that I like and build them...sometimes I would "kit bash" to upgrade the kit parts to create better pieces/parts. Like brass canons to replace kit cannons. Or better wood to do the planking. I work the kit assembly at my leisure to create a model I am pleased with. Right now I am building the HMS Revenge 1577 race galleon. Into the rigging. My advice? Have fun with the direction you choose.
 
I can only speak for myself here. I decided from the beginning to abandon the concept of historical accuracy. Drove me nuts. I am a kit builder. So I choose kits that I like and build them...sometimes I would "kit bash" to upgrade the kit parts to create better pieces/parts. Like brass canons to replace kit cannons. Or better wood to do the planking. I work the kit assembly at my leisure to create a model I am pleased with. Right now I am building the HMS Revenge 1577 race galleon. Into the rigging. My advice? Have fun with the direction you choose.
Many people seem to lose the concept that a hobby is supposed to be fun. :)
There also people that have fun making a model as accurate as possible.
Many that are in between. :)
 
That's exactly how it is:)
So true, and with my build I am doing things that seem like fun and a lot of fun making but one thing I have never heard or seen on this channel is where are the ceiling builds for scratch builds here on this channel. I even went to AI to see if it had any idea but no. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot. LOL
 
So true, and with my build I am doing things that seem like fun and a lot of fun making but one thing I have never heard or seen on this channel is where are the ceiling builds for scratch builds here on this channel. I even went to AI to see if it had any idea but no. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot. LOL
"ceiling builds" ??? Is that Auzzie slang?
 
"ceiling builds" ??? Is that Auzzie slang?
No Mate, check out what is the ceiling part of a ship. Obviously, none of you have done this as " ceiling planking" describes the area from the keel to the top of the internal section of your model's hull. I see many models are not done with ceiling planks because it is maybe too hard to achieve??!! It's not Aussie slang it's a Pommy description. To keep the norm, we say it as we see it. Actually, ceiling maybe better than calling it internal hull planking. Hope we are on the same page now:
Ceiling (Traditional/Wooden context): The wooden planks or interior strips fitted over the frames directly against the inside of the hull.
 
No Mate, check out what is the ceiling part of a ship. Obviously, none of you have done this as " ceiling planking" describes the area from the keel to the top of the internal section of your model's hull. I see many models are not done with ceiling planks because it is maybe too hard to achieve??!! It's not Aussie slang it's a Pommy description. To keep the norm, we say it as we see it. Actually, ceiling maybe better than calling it internal hull planking. Hope we are on the same page now:
Ceiling (Traditional/Wooden context): The wooden planks or interior strips fitted over the frames directly against the inside of the hull.
A ceiling is called an "overhead" on a ship.
 
No Mate, check out what is the ceiling part of a ship. Obviously, none of you have done this as " ceiling planking" describes the area from the keel to the top of the internal section of your model's hull. I see many models are not done with ceiling planks because it is maybe too hard to achieve??!! It's not Aussie slang it's a Pommy description. To keep the norm, we say it as we see it. Actually, ceiling maybe better than calling it internal hull planking. Hope we are on the same page now:
Ceiling (Traditional/Wooden context): The wooden planks or interior strips fitted over the frames directly against the inside of the hull.

Thanks for the explanation Gary, however, I absolutely knew what ceiling planking is. I believe it was just the way you phrased the question. Had you said, "...where are all the builds that include ceiling planking..." or "...that include a full ceiling...", I would have understood. But to ask, "...where are all the ceiling builds" made me visualize someone sitting up on their chandelier building a model.

Ceiling build ship.jpg
 
Back
Top