A Swivel Gun or demented Falconet ?

My first wooden model ship project is the Artesania Latino HMS Bounty, which on unpacking impressed me.
But with one exception, the "swivel gun" really is an abomination, pardon my ignorance but is this common nowadays in these "better quality" wooden ship models ?
Can anyone advise on what after market options for reasonably accurate replacements are available ?

Attachments

• AL Swivel gun.jpg
    AL Swivel gun.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 60
This is definitely no "swivel gun" - definitely you need some aftermarket alternatives for them
Let us search.....

Take a look at these:
you should check also the period and how such swivel guns should look like

Or usually very very good in quality are the guns from Alex Baranov

Here they are mentioned Falconet

18th century British vessels did not use the falconet style of swivel gun shown in Uwe's post. Bounty carried 10 half pounder swivels, which were basically small cannons mounded on a yoke. According to McKay, the swivels were 2' 9-1/2" long with a bore of 1-3/4". Each weighed about 100 pounds. The red line shows the location of the handle that clamped onto the stem of the cascabel. The other photos show how I made up swivels using commercial brass cannons as the starting point.

swivel.jpgswivel 1.jpgswivel 2.jpgswivel 3.jpg

18th century British vessels did not use the falconet style of swivel gun shown in Uwe's post. Bounty carried 10 half pounder swivels, which were basically small cannons mounded on a yoke. According to McKay, the swivels were 2' 9-1/2" long with a bore of 1-3/4". Each weighed about 100 pounds. The red line shows the location of the handle that clamped onto the stem of the cascabel. The other photos show how I made up swivels using commercial brass cannons as the starting point.

View attachment 218952View attachment 218953View attachment 218954View attachment 218955
Looking very good - many Thanks for correcting - I had already some doubts, therefore I wrote in my post "you should check also the period and how such swivel guns should look like" Thumbsup
This means at the end, that the guns of the Artesania kit are definitely not usable .... !!!

This is definitely no "swivel gun" - definitely you need some aftermarket alternatives for them
Let us search.....
Its disappointing when you pay over $700 (Australian) for what's written up as a quality kit, only to discover flawed quality control, I'm not adverse to buying after market detailing items for kits ( my regular practice for Aircraft kits) but when such an expensive brand fails to even include an instruction booklet or CD and supplies "detailed" items that fail to even remotely pass as reasonably accurate, my confidence in the Artesania Latino brand is nil.

Take a look at these:
you should check also the period and how such swivel guns should look like
Thank you sir.

Or usually very very good in quality are the guns from Alex Baranov

Here they are mentioned Falconet

Thank you, but the Falconet example isn't authentic to the Bounty or the RN in that period.

View attachment 218952View attachment 218953View attachment 218954View attachment 218955

I think your option is about as good as it gets, can you recommend a supplier for the Barrels and advise on the cascobel handle, materials and installation please.

Back