A traditional fishing boat of the eastern Sicily

I am very honored for your appreciation.
I am a fairly atypical naval model maker, passionate about a single type of very simple boat and only for a limited period as I have to devote myself to other hobbies.
I started building these models to find something to do during the summer time, keeping all the little equipment needed in a shoebox. These latest models have been made thanks to all the equipment I have for my hobbies and this has allowed me to take a big step forward.
Surely in this and in other forums we have the contribution of enthusiasts with greater experience and passion and their models go far beyond my results.
However, I am very happy to be able to leave a trace of my models for those who have the same interest.

I will present the construction of a couple of fishing boats typical of the Gulf of Catania.
The original idea was to build the boat commonly used today with oars or outboard motors.
My projects are based on my own photos taken in local ports so I have the habit of making boats that are still available today.
Visiting the italian forum of ship modelers made me want to build something more important and with sailing.
I then documented myself on the oldest boats, when fishermen used the latin sail and I tried to adapt my hull to that use.
This type of boat has almost completely disappeared, only a few enthusiasts still use it.
Near Catania, in Acitrezza there is still a shipyard that works in the old way, you can find their story here, unfortunately only in Italian but the opening video is very nice.
In the same town there is also an artist, passionate of the ancient way of decorating these boats which had unique colors and decorations visible only in this area.
The project was carried out in two units, one, already completed, seen in my presentation, equipped and colored in modern use, the other, equipped with sail and decorated with traditional colors, is still in progress for the sailing equipment
A boat was born that is a reduced version of the typical sardara, the larger version will be the subject of a future project that I have already started to design.
the type of boat is of the type of "la Provvidenza" described by italian writer Giuseppe Verga in the masterpiece "I malavoglia".
My version is a 5m boat in real size and about 20cm in 1/24 scale. All my models are in this scale to be able to compare the dimensions, except maybe a next project that in that scale would be 80cm but this is another story.
Unfortunately I hardly know any technical terms in English, I will need some help on that.
Hallo @AldoZ
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
BTW: I guess you finished her in the meantime....maybe you have time for a small photo session with the finished model?

I thank you with all my heart for the good wishes.

Unfortunately the model hasn't made much progress since then, which is a real shame as there are very few details missing to complete it.

I often think about that model and the little time I should devote to complete it but I am always distracted by other activities.

I have spent some time improving the tools I use to design the plans from which I derive the models and I think I have made some progress, when I decide to start a new one I want the project to be the best I can make. I wish my designs could be detailed enough for anyone to use.

Since last December I have been busier with a full scale model of a 1969 Triumph T120R :)

Back