A traditional fishing boat of the eastern Sicily

I think that it is remarkable and commendable that you have brought forth from your recollections the actual manner in which the hull is planked. It gives it a deeper and more meaningful presentation which other viewers, without your background knowledge and commitment, will likely not be aware of or even be critical. You are giving us a lesson and visual treat. Rich (PT-2)
I am very grateful and honored for this encouragement. I must say that my models are very simple when compared with the real works of art that I see published by many others.
Mine is an attempt to communicate the passion for a specific type of boat that has been part of our tradition and which is starting to become difficult to find live in our ports.
I must say that the merit of many technical details is not only mine but of enthusiasts who have had the patience to study these hulls for a long time and to publish their research so that they could be handed down.
I try to photograph and analyze the structure of these boats whenever I have the opportunity and I try to make the drawings for my models in the best possible way. I am well aware that many details can still be improved and all my efforts will be necessary to obtain a good result.

I am very grateful and honored for this encouragement. I must say that my models are very simple when compared with the real works of art that I see published by many others.
Mine is an attempt to communicate the passion for a specific type of boat that has been part of our tradition and which is starting to become difficult to find live in our ports.
I must say that the merit of many technical details is not only mine but of enthusiasts who have had the patience to study these hulls for a long time and to publish their research so that they could be handed down.
I try to photograph and analyze the structure of these boats whenever I have the opportunity and I try to make the drawings for my models in the best possible way. I am well aware that many details can still be improved and all my efforts will be necessary to obtain a good result.
Your conviction to these boats is commendable and will produce a valuable resource for model makers in years to come. Rich (PT-2)

And the bulwark (or gunwale?) completed with tholes reinforcements.
Unfortunately the photos I saved are mixed between the two sister boats but most parts are the same.
Here you can also see the completed interior with the box at the end of the deck and the corridor walls the prevent water to fall inside.

20210329_235010.jpg20210329_235035.jpg

Rudder hardware are from a tomato soup can and steel wire.

20210331_225320.jpg20210401_220235.jpg20210401_230418.jpg20210401_230428.jpg20210401_230503.jpg

The hardware has been mounted through short pieces of iron solderd from side to side, as if they were riveted in place, no glue.
It's not the cleaner one but it will be polished and painted.

20210414_232546.jpg

Rudder hardware are from a tomato soup can and steel wire.

View attachment 262614View attachment 262615View attachment 262616View attachment 262617View attachment 262618

The hardware has been mounted through short pieces of iron solderd from side to side, as if they were riveted in place, no glue.
It's not the cleaner one but it will be polished and painted.

View attachment 262619
Soup cans are a out of the box idea for material and stiff to work with but you have solved that. Rich (PT-2)

The box at the end of the deck, I missed a little detail, try to find it :)

View attachment 263792

And the inner side of the bulwark... and completed the missing detail :)

View attachment 263793

Angel heads and other geometrical patterns on the inner side of the corridors wall.

View attachment 263794

And a floral pattern on the rear

View attachment 263795
Not to be disrespectful but this level of ornamentation reminded me of some taxis in the Phillipeans when the carrier was moored for R&R briefly off of the combat station. Were these decals part of a kit or where did you obtain them. This fishing boat is looking like a party boat on the trawl for what it may attract cruising along ;). Very nice and a different boat to bring to our harbor. Rich (PT-2)

Rich, all details are hand painted with a 0-size paintbrush and an watchmaker magnifier.

This type of ornament is very typical of the eastern area of Sicily. You won't find boats decorated like this anywhere else. It is now almost impossible to find boats decorated in this way but in ancient times this was the common way in the area of the Gulf of Catania. The decoration contains propitiatory symbols of both religious and older pagan origin.
In some ways it is a pictorial tradition similar to that found in the Sicilian cart.
Currently few enthusiasts are able to preserve and reproduce these designs and few boats are decorated in this way for cultural and recreational purposes.
Here are some photos of the boat I am drawing inspiration from, it is a modern reconstruction of Providence protagonist of the novel I Malavoglia by Giuseppe Verga.

I'm inspiring from this boat either as it is a bigger one, it's 7.5m long and mine is 5m long. The longer one would be a future build.

20130810.jpgdsc00710.jpgFB_IMG_16205937817801202.jpgFB_IMG_16205938074993905.jpgFB_IMG_16205938413370753.jpgFB_IMG_16205939434773505.jpg

Last edited:
Also adriatic fishing boats, I lived for several years in Croatia, have very colorful boats and especially painted sails.
Often such decorations were also done, that you can recognize the owner of the boat or the fisherman.
Especially because of the sails you can recognize every ship also from a bigger distance
6f76cd273595d6e0f84ceb7a2907ba5e.jpg 67f4ebb262cd0040efb8fe57cf0a8d7c.jpg

2897375323dceeb0e61dd49857788901.jpg 02b7af71d7be5a03d3ea93555a04923c.jpg

Also adriatic fishing boats, I lived for several years in Croatia, have very colorful boats and especially painted sails.
Often such decorations were also done, that you can recognize the owner of the boat or the fisherman.
Especially because of the sails you can recognize every ship also from a bigger distance
View attachment 263858 View attachment 263859

View attachment 263860 View attachment 263861
Uve, thank you for your contribution. Obviously my statement had been deliberately exaggerated, certainly the custom of decorating boats with bright colors is very widespread throughout the Mediterranean Sea and certainly also in the rest of the world.
I just wanted to underline the particularity of these drawings, at least in relation to the areas that I usually frequent.
I like that my boats can generate an interesting debate, they are generally interesting for a small audience only.

View attachment 263858 View attachment 263859

View attachment 263860 View attachment 263861
I did not realize that your boat is 5 m long . . . I thought it was a small model. Your brushwork and research are beautifully executed by your steady and patient hands and eyes. Beautiful work. I very much like looking at the actual boats and their decorations. Rich (PT-2)

Five meters is the lenght of the real boat, in 1/24 scale is about 20 centimeters.
The external decoration has also been completed.
I am not finding photos of the intermediate steps, we will jump directly to the final result.
I add a photo of the boat in my hand to give an idea of the size of the model, in this photo some details are already visible which I would describe later.

20210626_123300.jpg20210626_123312.jpg20210626_123328.jpg20210626_123350.jpg20210626_123411.jpg20211020_195138.jpg

Five meters is the lenght of the real boat, in 1/24 scale is about 20 centimeters.
The external decoration has also been completed.
I am not finding photos of the intermediate steps, we will jump directly to the final result.
I add a photo of the boat in my hand to give an idea of the size of the model, in this photo some details are already visible which I would describe later.

View attachment 263920View attachment 263921View attachment 263922View attachment 263923View attachment 263924View attachment 263927
It is a model . . . WOW!!!!! Amazing hand painting. Rich

You did an amazing paint job. Very creatieve and talented. I love it.

Very good method - many thanks for showing your way of the production

Back