Adhesives for thin planks

Interesting to see so many solutions to a sticky problem. I use Sikabond PVA which sticks relatively quickly, is very strong, cures in 24 hours and unusually for a PVA actually dries very clear. I have tried to improve my glue handling to just about eliminate squeeze out and need to clean up...I use a 4mm wide brush to apply a thin coat so there are no white drops showing but the wood is wet...bring together and clamp/weight lightly and my results are much better than using more glue, more cleanup and heavier clamping.

Hi,
This is a SOS!
I'm trying to plank the outer bulwarks of my Artesania Latina Swift. The detail packed instructions said to use contact glue. I need 10 strips to complete both sides, I have 11 left. Well I masked off the model, applied good old well bond contact cement to the bulwark side and one side of a fitted ( to a degree ) plank. That's seems to be a poor choice, sticks to quick, too easy to break (trying to align it) and all the glue slop that got onto the outer side of the plank.
Extremely frustrated.
Send help please.....
Thank you,
Steviedean
Hallo @Steviedean
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Be warned Contact Adhesive is NOT CA.
I use Contatck Adheasive all the time for veneer based second layers.
I do it in the following manner.
Set aside 3-4 veneer strips and shape each to fit . Thencoat one side with Contact adheasive ( I use a modelers brush). Let touch dry
Paint 1-2 cm width of Contact Adheasive glue on the hull where the veneer is to go.Let touch Dry.
Lay veneer one at a time and press on with fingers and push into place.
Do this for the rest of the 2-4 strips and then rub with a piece of dowel. till they stick.

Remember CA is Cyanoacrylate glue . ( We call it super glue in AUS)
Contact adheasive is just that ,two layers of glue on separate surfaces that when combined glue to each other. Contact adheasive is the easiet way to lay veneer hulls.

Never used CA for wood only PVA, woodglue or Contact Adheasive. See my
build for use.

Hi,
This is a SOS!
I'm trying to plank the outer bulwarks of my Artesania Latina Swift. The detail packed instructions said to use contact glue. I need 10 strips to complete both sides, I have 11 left. Well I masked off the model, applied good old well bond contact cement to the bulwark side and one side of a fitted ( to a degree ) plank. That's seems to be a poor choice, sticks to quick, too easy to break (trying to align it) and all the glue slop that got onto the outer side of the plank.
Extremely frustrated.
Send help please.....
Thank you,
Steviedean
Hallo @Steviedean
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back