Accessories/Upscale Kits Aftermarket naval guns parts to upscale, Part 2/3

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Greetings all. This is way long past-due log of Part 2 of 3 series: Accesories\Uspscale mini kits of naval guns. To those of you who came directly to this post, please follow the below link to get familiar with our discussion about aftermarket naval gun mini kits.

PART 2
In the first part, we have an overview, kinda of an open box of mini kits available at our disposal if we would like to upscale the look of the naval guns: their barrels, carriages, and small PE parts to those who would like to present the gun with tiny details. So...without further ado, let's begin.

This is our ultimate goal for today's discussion
1702919455193.jpeg

The carriage
Let's take a look at the typical British naval gun using the image below. We will assemble the carriages so they look similar.

1702926457076.png

The parts for the carriage are provided in two laser-cut Pearwood sheets. Each kit will have a thinner sheet, that contains parts for left/right marriage sides, all 4 trucks (wheels), transom, and bolster. The thicker sheet will have front and rear axletrees and quoins. Below is the sample for the 35mm barrel.
1702919857193.jpeg

I am removing all the parts to clean the laser char where it is required. Some parts will require shaping before they are assembled. Let's start with both axletrees. For the tracks to fit, the axletree ends require some rounding.
600_3882.jpg 600_3881.jpg

Obviously, you can do it with a flat file and/or hobby knife, I suspect they will look OK, but likely to be uniform. To ease this process, I made a custom tool using different blunt needles. They are typically labeled by gauges where the gauge number, the smaller the inside diameter. (see the image below).

1702927706753.png 1702927809939.png

Pick the blunt needle that will make the dowel the same size (or close enough) as your inside diameter on the truck. To make the tool, you will need a triangle needle jewelry file and make 4 cuts like in the image below. Don't worry if they do not even, they should only cut the wood. Here on the image various tool sizes for different axletrees. The tool is better used in the drill press but with some try and error, you can do it in your favorite rotary tool on slow speed.
IMG_0230.JPEG
IMG_0226.JPEG

The next step is to prepare the transom. Because the carriages' sides are not parallel to each other, each side on the transom required shaping. There is a laser mark as the guide to help you remove only the necessary amount.

1702925676636.png 1702924684499.jpeg

Alright, all parts are preshaped where necessary and ready to be assembled to make a carriage. YAY!
IMG_0227.JPEG

I start with the transom, it will be glued to the front axletree. Please note the two laser marks., you will glue the transom between those lines like so on the images below. You may click on the individual image to see a larger view.
600_3917.jpg 600_3916.jpg
600_3919.jpg

Moving ON, time to glue the carriages' side pannels. Each carriage has notches to accept the front and rear axletrees, also there are laser marks on the axletrees to position the sides. Glue everything together including bolster. NOTE: you will have to shape the bolster so it will fit between the carriage's sides.
1702929863276.jpeg

The last step is to glue the quoin and the stoolbed (one simplified unit), but this will require a gun barrel so we can properly manage the angle. Believe me or not, but that's it for the carriage itself. At this point, it should look similar to the images below.
600_3888.jpg
600_3889.jpg
600_3890.jpg
600_3891.jpg
600_3892.jpg
In my images, I use parts from different kit sizes, as I assembled them all. You may find slight differences between the images.

Working with gun barrels.

Assembling the carriage was fun, wasn't it? The carriage does look great and I must admit - all parts fit nicely! If you intend to upscale only kit carriages, your mission is accomplished. However, if you want to replace the naval gun with upgraded barrels, then continue reading.

For the most part, they (barrels) don't require much work. From the supplied brass wire I will need to make a trunnion and clean it from oxidation before blackening. However, I recommend purchasing a PE kit, not that the kit contains capsquares, and various hooks/eyebolts for rigging the gun, but it includes the linchpins (at the time of writing only for the 50mm kit) and the Royal Emblem. Yeah...you want the royal emblem, for sure. Just so you have an idea of what is the PE kit, check the image below.

1702932730630.jpeg
and Royal emblem in the macro image
1702932830913.jpeg

Back to the barrels. The wire diameter supplied for the trunnion is slightly smaller than the hole. If you don't know how to solder or simply don't want to, you can blacken all the parts separately and glue them together. However, I will be using the butane torch and silver solder paste and solder all parts together before blackening.
600_3829.jpg
Using the carriage, measure and cut slightly longer wire for trunion, so you have enough for the final shape from both ends. In the middle of the trunnion part make a grove half of the diameter. Put some soldering paste and insert it into the barrel. Remove any excess solder from both ends and... Solder it. Heat the fubsy parts first and spread the heat toward the thinner part of the barrel. You should see the bright solder between the hole and the wire. The job is done! While still hot, dump it into vinegar to remove oxidation.
The next task is to solder the Royal Emblem. Oh..oh..we have a slight problem. The emblem is dead flat and will require some round shaping.
1702934728276.jpeg

Continue on the next post (25 images limit)

....continued from the previous post

I have the photoetching roller set, use the smallest bar to round off the edges.
The result is exactly what I expected to see.
1702935219290.jpeg 1702935258554.jpeg

Carefully inspect from each side, If the emblem doesn't fit on all edges, or you see gaps, roll it again until it conforms to the barrel's shape. This is imperative! If you roll it too much, use the bigger round bar to unroll. Before the soldering, I will clean the spot on the barrel and the inside emblem from oxidation. Use a small dub of silver solder (just to cover the end of the toothpick) and put it inside the emblem, at the center. Position the emblem exactly as you need it, and heat the thick part of the barrel moving the heat towards the emblem. Watch for the bright silver line between the emblem and the barrel. This is the indication that the emblem soldered. While still hot submerge in vinegar.

600_3909.jpg

After you clean from oxidation, the Royal emblem will shy proud!

600_3901.jpg

1702936305427.jpeg

The last task on the barrels is to cut the trunnion to fit the carriage. I use the cutoff disk and my rotary tool to make the perfect size. Then, I glue the combined quoin and stoolbed part for the required heights. And the result of it (images below).
1702936604849.jpeg
1702936731906.jpeg
1702936746463.jpeg
1702936758602.jpeg

Well..., I don't know about you, but I am quite happy with how the cannon looking as of now. Most of the images are using 50mm barrels for the demonstration, but absolutely the same way, I was doing the rest of the calibers. Please don't go away, more parts of the assembly are to come!

Complete capsquare assembly or continue the metalsmith work...

IMHO, the most tricky part to make is the capsquare. In most kists, this part doesn't exist at all. meaning the modeler has to make it. I saw many variations using the brass strips (my preferred method). using black paper or even casting. I am sure, the method you are using will satisfy your needs. The PE kits, we discussed earlier contained all the parts required to assemble capsquare. Check it out...

I will use the previous image where I show you the Royal Emblem, this image contains all parts of the capsquare.

600_3873.jpg

Here we found left and right capsquare, capsquare eyebolts, and capsquare joint bolts. Because of the notches on the capsquare, it shouldn't be difficult to bend. Using the pliers or PE bending tool bend the ends using the notches as the guides. then, use the trunnion wire to bend around. This is the simplest method and doesn't require additional tooling described in the above text.
However, if you want to be more creative, and bend the capsquare in one shot, you will have to make a tool (images below). The brass pins represent the different diameters of the trunnions.
1702944650888.jpeg
1702943184452.jpeg
1702943141529.jpeg

Here are the capsquares on the carriage. Note the size of the carriage. This is the smallest carriage available as the kit for 30mm barrels.
1702943359527.jpeg

The last task is to install the capsquare bolts, capsquare joint bolts, and all eyebolts. This is straight forward task, and the results exceeded my expectations.
1702943803600.jpeg

The smallest one
1702943912619.jpeg

...and this should be it? No!! The challenge came when I needed to blacken all the parts before the assembly.

1702944763160.jpeg

They are so tiny, that I found it difficult to remove oxidation and degrease. Therefore the BrasBlack didn't stick well. I use the 800-grit sandpaper and sand while they're still in the fret. This helps a bit but still not a success. Then I made a sharp turn and decided to solder everything together and then blacken it as a single unit. The upper left assembly is my scratch-built capsquare assembly.
IMG_0233.jpeg

I am sure, you are impatient to see the complete cannon when it blackened and ready for rigging. Me too, so here is, as the conclusion, all the images to depict the results of the assembly of those kits.
1702945875976.jpeg
1702945900118.jpeg
IMG_2702.JPEG

IMG_2703.JPEG
IMG_2701.JPEG

just for comparison
IMG_2714.JPEG

Continue on the next post...

1702945851979.jpeg

Continued from the previous post...

Completed cannon images

IMG_2711.JPEG
IMG_2699.JPEG
IMG_2700.JPEG
IMG_2713.JPEG
IMG_2712.JPEG

IMG_2753.JPEG
IMG_2751.JPEG

Well...with those images shining, Part 2 comes to an end. I have a total joy working with those small kits. Specifically with the carriages, their assembly is a breeze. The barrels are very good quality! One of my observations and comments, the trunnions diameters should be bigger for all sizes. This is not a challenging part, and if you think the same, a bigger diameter brass wire should do it. The PE parts are great, the frets have all the parts to assemble the gun, plus additional eyering and eyelets to rig the cannons and the bulwarks. However, I wish the linchpins would be included in all PE kits other than just a 50mm one.

And now is the small quiz, just to find out how attentive you are reading. Do you see the difference between the blackened and brass cannons?

Thank you for visiting this log, but don't go away for too long. We will rig those cannons, Yeah, you heard it right
a small teaser below...

1702947544573.jpeg

The bolts for the carriage are missing in the brass version.
I have two questions:
1) you wrote: photoetching roller set, use the smallest bar to round off the edges.
can you shoq or explain what a photoetching roller set is?
2) How do you make the small four bolts at the wheels? Do you burr the heads before you install them? The same related to the other bolts
BTW: Great tutorial and explanations -> Bravo my friend

The bolts for the carriage are missing in the brass version.
I have two questions:
1) you wrote: photoetching roller set, use the smallest bar to round off the edges.
can you shoq or explain what a photoetching roller set is?
2) How do you make the small four bolts at the wheels? Do you burr the heads before you install them? The same related to the other bolts
BTW: Great tutorial and explanations -> Bravo my friend
Bravo, mon ami! You found one, but there are others... you may need to try more... ;)

To answer your questions:
1. The roller set I use from DSPIAE. But others make similar or the same products under different names. The base is CNC aluminum, the roles are polished steel. You gave me a hint, that I might do the review of this device.
s-l1600.jpg s-l960.jpg

2. You are correct, to round all the bolt's heads I am using the cup burr. The smallest diameter bur is 0.7mm. I use steel wire and a Lube stick (found in jewelry stores) to prolong the bur's life. The use of combinations of burs can give you a very nice result. ;)

2. a. I drill the holes in the tracks with a drill bit a bit smaller than the wire you will use.
2. b. I insert the wire leaving some wire for the head ~ 1.5mm
2. c. I round the head using the bur
2. d. I push the pin all the way to leave just the head

burr.jpg Bursets.jpg

OK, another technical question for you who know most all things.

I have seen many barrels with the trunnion hole off center of barrel.

So when installing in carriage does the off-center trunnion go to bottom holding barrel up or to the top holding barrel lower in carriage?

So when installing in carriage does the off-center trunnion go to bottom holding barrel up or to the top holding barrel lower in carriage?
Hi Kurt, the real thing (barrels) doesn't have holes for trunnions. They (trunnions) were part of the casting. To answer your question, the off center alway goes bottom.
1703011305578.jpeg
1703011359317.jpeg
1703011386637.jpeg

Here is on the below image the trunnion goes in the middle of the bore
1703011656939.png

Back