Airfix 1/600 RMS Queen Elizabeth by ChrisSC

Pugwash??? Is there any chance you were once nicknamed Captainpugwash? If so, were you the creator of Model Ship World? And if so, then let me tell you you are bitterly missed there! ...and very welcome here.
No, no. Captainpugwash and his shipmate Master Bates have nothing to do with me. I subscribe to no conspiracies, but follow the true path of enlightenment, sharing the love with whoever desires it. MSW and SoS are two sides of the same coin, facing away from each other. Strangers, yet entangled. The ocean moves in mysterious ways; water is water. It is written.

Added some PE stairs/ladders, doors, and decals to my 1/600 Queen Elizabeth. I will be putting more stairs and railings. I also started permanently gluing some of the decks on, and more test fitting. 32 Bridge PE.jpg33 PE Ladders and Doors.jpg35 Dry Fit.jpg36 Decks Glued.jpg

The model doesn't come with the platform on the forecastle so I added it. I finished most of the stairs and am doing all the railings I won't be able to get to once the lifeboat davits are installed and in my way. I also glued on the bridge area and props. I think I'm going to do the lifeboat davits next. I have PE parts for them so it should take awhile. 37 Platform.jpg38 Platform.jpg40 Screws.jpg41 Railings.jpg42 Railings.jpg43 Bridge.jpg44 QE Platform.jpg

I decided against the PE davits, they are just too thin IMO to hold the lifeboats. I was going to use some of the parts and make a combo out of plastic and PE but I don't think it will look good, I am going to use the seats though. I painted and installed the funnels. All that remains are the railings, masts, lifeboats and rigging. 45 Davits.jpg46 Cunard Red.jpg47 Funnels.jpg48 Funnels.jpg49 Funnels.jpg

Some more progress on my 1/600 Queen Elizabeth. Davits are installed, lifeboats are finished, and I am starting to install some railings that will be easier to do now than when the lifeboats are in the way. 50 Davits.jpg51 Lifeboats.jpg52 Lifeboats.jpg53 Railings.jpg

I installed the lifeboats57 Railings.jpg58 Railings.jpg59 Lifeboats.jpg and added more railings. The boats really don't fit very well on the davits but they are now attached. I also had the top most section of railing around the brown area get stuck in a position I didn't want....I hate CA glue for that reason. It will have to stay that way as it's never coming off lol. She is almost done. Another couple of days for a few more railings, masts, ratlines, and 4 or 5 pieces of rigging and I'm gonna call it done.

Almost done on my 1/600 Queen Elizabeth. I think if all goes well I will finish her off tomorrow. I installed all the railings on the forecastle and its little platform, the bridge railings, the forward mast and ratlines, some rigging, and the anchors. Tomorrow I will finish up the main mast, rear ratlines and rigging, and a few more railings at the stern. Then it will be onto something else, maybe a Queen Mary. 60 Platform.jpg61 Forward Mast.jpg63 Bridge Railing.jpg

Excellent!!! Bravo Chris! She looks gorgeous! Don't forget to submit photos to our gallery of completed models.

P.S. Any plans for the next model?

Excellent!!! Bravo Chris! She looks gorgeous! Don't forget to submit photos to our gallery of completed models.

P.S. Any plans for the next model?
Thanks Jimsky. Well I would prefer to finish my 1/350 Lusitania that is considerably put together but I am still waiting for the parts I need to finish her.

Honestly I really enjoyed building in this 1/600 scale and I am thinking of doing a few more before I take on some of my larger scale ships. I am leaning towards either a Revell 1/570 Queen Mary, or an Airfix 1/600 QE2. The newer models with all the detail kits are very common but these old girls don't seem to get much attention. I like building stuff you don't see too often. That's why I don't plan on building the Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic anytime soon, I see tons of people building it right now. Plus with a model that complex I'll let some of the others building her figure out whatever bugs she has lol!

I didn't realize there was a gallery for completed ships. Do you just post the final photo of the completed build?
Thanks again Jimsky,
Chris

You are more than welcome, Chris!
We have a dedicated section called Completed Model Showcase. The section consists two forums and the showcase itself. For the showcase I have tagged Donnie @Donnie you can sent him PM. For Completed Images forum, just create a new thread (post a thread) and appload all the photos of your completed model!

Good luck!!

Beautiful model Chris! Those small scales have to be difficult. It looks like your more than ready for those bigger scale models. Space for them is another problem though.

Beautiful model Chris! Those small scales have to be difficult. It looks like your more than ready for those bigger scale models. Space for them is another problem though.
Thanks Mike. Yes, some of the stuff is pretty small. Like you said though, they sure don't take up the room of a 1/200 to display! Even the 1/350's are huge compared to these. I have no idea how people work on 1/1200's!

Back