AL< Santa Maria - still to be finished.

La Gallega – AKA ‘la Santa Maria’ by Artesania Latina but before Columbus.

La Gallega was categorised as a Nao (A carrack. Portuguese: Nau, Spanish: Nao, Catalan: Carraca) which means “Ship”, an ocean-going sailing ship developed in the 14th to 15th centuries by Portugal and Spain, (most notably in Portugal) they were built for the transportation of trade and commerce around the Mediterranean and the Atlantic coast line Nao were reputedly slow with enhanced girth (like Jubba the Hutt) that enabled them to carry/transport sizable tonnage in trade/commerce.

The build was made up from bits n pieces extracted from ‘The Ships of Christopher Colombus’ x Franco Gay, & Cesare Ciano, ‘Anatomy of a Ship’ by Xavier Pastor, the Nao Victoria, El Galeon, but mostly a little bit by me, interspersed with a lot of by me, my imagination, plus mistakes and blunders which hopefully resulted in my version of Juan De La Cosa’s “La Gallega”.

Since Oct22 My adventures have been Covid, long covid, house sales, new house, loss of workshop/hobby space, computer death, loss of photos/info.

I intended to post a build unfortunately this didn’t eventuate due to the above issues. Here are the few photos saved or recently taken. Included is a photo of the several sail set made and rejected because to me they weren’t good enough.

The quality of workmanship (I’ve never cut a straight line ever) is not of the same high standard members continuously see in SOS and precision continues to hibernate in my dream basket. Having said that I remain mindful, that model building is about striving to be better than yesterday and preparing to improve for tomorrow. The enjoyment, satisfaction, frustrations, and patience of the accomplishment(s). There are many.

Admin please feel free to delete this post if deemed to be inappropriate or not in the correct SOS section.

Oh! BTW, for Christmas the family gave me the AL “San Juan Nepomuceno” which was exciting until I read that the model was for elite or advanced modellers of which I am neither. Truthfully? I’m in a state of build terror wondering how long it will be to disaster time -----

– Cheers Franco.

01_Hull.png

02_Hull.png

03_Hull.png

04_Hull_Elect.png

05_Hull.png

06_Forcastle_01.png

07_Forcastle_02.png

08_Rudder.png

09_Lombard.png

10_Windlass.png

11_Rejected Sails.png

12_LED Lantern.png

13_MainDeckLights.png

14_SM.png

15_SM.png

16_SM.png

17_SM.png

18_SM.png

19_SM.png

20_SM.png

21_SM.png

La Gallega – AKA ‘la Santa Maria’ by Artesania Latina but before Columbus.

La Gallega was categorised as a Nao (A carrack. Portuguese: Nau, Spanish: Nao, Catalan: Carraca) which means “Ship”, an ocean-going sailing ship developed in the 14th to 15th centuries by Portugal and Spain, (most notably in Portugal) they were built for the transportation of trade and commerce around the Mediterranean and the Atlantic coast line Nao were reputedly slow with enhanced girth (like Jubba the Hutt) that enabled them to carry/transport sizable tonnage in trade/commerce.

The build was made up from bits n pieces extracted from ‘The Ships of Christopher Colombus’ x Franco Gay, & Cesare Ciano, ‘Anatomy of a Ship’ by Xavier Pastor, the Nao Victoria, El Galeon, but mostly a little bit by me, interspersed with a lot of by me, my imagination, plus mistakes and blunders which hopefully resulted in my version of Juan De La Cosa’s “La Gallega”.

Since Oct22 My adventures have been Covid, long covid, house sales, new house, loss of workshop/hobby space, computer death, loss of photos/info.

I intended to post a build unfortunately this didn’t eventuate due to the above issues. Here are the few photos saved or recently taken. Included is a photo of the several sail set made and rejected because to me they weren’t good enough.

The quality of workmanship (I’ve never cut a straight line ever) is not of the same high standard members continuously see in SOS and precision continues to hibernate in my dream basket. Having said that I remain mindful, that model building is about striving to be better than yesterday and preparing to improve for tomorrow. The enjoyment, satisfaction, frustrations, and patience of the accomplishment(s). There are many.

Admin please feel free to delete this post if deemed to be inappropriate or not in the correct SOS section.

Oh! BTW, for Christmas the family gave me the AL “San Juan Nepomuceno” which was exciting until I read that the model was for elite or advanced modellers of which I am neither. Truthfully? I’m in a state of build terror wondering how long it will be to disaster time -----

– Cheers Franco.

View attachment 420426

View attachment 420427

View attachment 420428

View attachment 420429

View attachment 420430

View attachment 420431

View attachment 420432

View attachment 420433

View attachment 420434

View attachment 420435

View attachment 420436

View attachment 420437

View attachment 420438

View attachment 420439

View attachment 420440

View attachment 420441

View attachment 420442

View attachment 420443

View attachment 420444

View attachment 420445

View attachment 420446
Good morning Franco. It’s good to see you have got this going even after all your data loss. She looks mighty fine. See this work I think you will enjoy your new AL San Juan….a mighty ship. Cheers Grant

Good morning Franco. It’s good to see you have got this going even after all your data loss. She looks mighty fine. See this work I think you will enjoy your new AL San Juan….a mighty ship. Cheers Grant
Thank you Grant for your kind and encouraging words, they are very much appreciated. With the AL San Juan I've already made a big blunder, "I opened the box". - Now at the stage of "should I or should I not present a kit build?" cheers

Thank you Grant for your kind and encouraging words, they are very much appreciated. With the AL San Juan I've already made a big blunder, "I opened the box". - Now at the stage of "should I or should I not present a kit build?" cheers
Ha ha- once the box is open it’s all over;)….I would love to see a build log and on this forum everyone is always so helpful and encouraging. Cheers Grant

Back