Am I crazy or what?

OK, just joined the forum a few days ago and I have started my first build. You can check it out in the build forum.

Here is the crazy part....I'm a few days into my first build, with probably months to go and now I have already bought my 2nd kit, the OcCre HMS Montanes. I couldn't help it. I have always seen this kit at around $759 but I caught it on sale for $499 and pulled the trigger even though I will not touch it for 6 months.

Is this normal behavior? LOL....does everyone feel the excitement of opening a new kit? Needless to say, I think I'm hooked.
Just to be pedantic, Montanes is Spanish, NOT English! ;) I completed her 2 years ago.

Welcome to our crazy/not so crazy world gene438. I'm only on my second ship build now. First was a little schooner, the Halcon, now, I'm building HMS Victory from Mantua Models. I Also have Revell Cutty Sark part built. I'm a bit of an obsessive hobbyist, who gets hooked on something, spends a fortune on it, only to move on to something else.
Years ago it was all Airfix kits. Then radio control helicopters, really expensive, especially when they crash. They are all gone now, but still keep two radio control planes. Now I've found ship building and am completely hooked on this. I'm looking around at what to buy next. At the same time, I'm struggling to find parts to build an Airbus A320 cockpit for my flight simulator. Yet another hobby that I've been hooked on since the early '80s. That cost me a fortune in computer upgrades over the years to keep up with the newer versions.
I have one unboxed ship kit that I will be selling. The Mantua 1:200 scale HMS Victory. I bought that with the intention of building what I could afford at the time, but then I saw the 1:98 scale version on offer and bought that. I don't need two of them so the smaller one will go.
Here's where the obsession gets crazy, on a trip to Amsterdam in March this year, I was completely taken by the replica ship East Indiaman Amsterdam in the Maritime Museum there. I asked the question and currently there is no kit for this ship, so, we are going back next year with the sole purpose of photographing the ship from stem to stern, getting as much detail as possible. I'm going to attempt a scratch build. I still have to contact the company who built the replica to see if I can get a copy of their plans.
I have 64 photos that I took at the time, this one, I took whilst we were climbing the steps to Nemo Science Museum and cafe. She really is a beautiful ship.
Me, normal, never. 20230330_163456.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with you and Montanes is a very good kit, If you bash it a little bit, you can get a great model
When you start buying tools, ooh.... it's a deep hole to fell into ;):)
Per favore: Some heads-up before I start with Montanes.

Welcome to our crazy/not so crazy world gene438. I'm only on my second ship build now. First was a little schooner, the Halcon, now, I'm building HMS Victory from Mantua Models. I'm a bit of an obsessive hobbyist, who gets hooked on something, spends a fortune on it, only to move on to something else.
Years ago it was all Airfix kits. Then radio control helicopters, really expensive, especially when they crash. They are all gone now, but still keep two radio control planes. Now I've found ship building and am completely hooked on this. I'm looking around at what to buy next. At the same time, I'm struggling to find parts to build an Airbus A320 cockpit for my flight simulator. Yet another hobby that I've been hooked on since the early '80s. That cost me a fortune in computer upgrades over the years to keep up with the newer versions.
I have one unboxed ship kit that I will be selling. The Mantua 1:200 scale HMS Victory. I bought that with the intention of building what I could afford at the time, but then I saw the 1:98 scale version on offer and bought that. I don't need two of them so the smaller one will go.
Here's where the obsession gets crazy, on a trip to Amsterdam in March this year, I was completely taken by the replica ship East Indiaman Amsterdam in the Maritime Museum there. I asked the question and currently there is no kit for this ship, so, we are going back next year with the sole purpose of photographing the ship from stem to stern, getting as much detail as possible. I'm going to attempt a scratch build. I still have to contact the company who built the replica to see if I can get a copy of their plans.
I have 64 photos that I took at the time, this one, I took whilst we were climbing the steps to Nemo Science Museum and cafe. She really is a beautiful ship.
Me, normal, never. View attachment 407886
I'll look forward to your 1:78 Mantua Vic., to see how you go! Mine is still boxed on top of wardrobe. I've got 3 to finish, & 4 OcCre kits first!

Well, I'll be the odd guy out. I have never bought a kit and don't plan on it. :) :)
Well, I think no one buys a kit consciously. It's like it's hiding in a dark corner on the internet or in a catalogue, waiting for you. Then, when it sees your weakness or distraction, it suddenly jumps at you. Then you belong to it for this whole eternity and the one after. :eek:

I shared the comments on this post with my wife to help explain that I'm not crazy for having five large ship kits not started stored under a spare bed. She does not understand the draw of this hobby and the need for so many tools. The members of this group are great.

I once heard a person speak about the difference between calling a person Crazy versus Insane.

He went on to say that being Insane, is a medical diagnosis which is treatable and often the person can recover from it with proper treatment.

Being Crazy is just a state of mind, and there is no hope or cure for those who are crazy about a person, hobby or any other issue they really care about!

I'll look forward to your 1:78 Mantua Vic., to see how you go! Mine is still boxed on top of wardrobe. I've got 3 to finish, & 4 OcCre kits first!
I regained my senses last weekend, stood back, reassessed the reality of ever getting around to building the 5 new kits I have, at age 78 1/2, suffering with carpal tunnel ! I have my present build, 'Superbe' + 4 part built, including Coral Victory. Taking a deep breath, I bought the Caldercraft Victory!!
I then put 4 kits & the Coral part built up for sale. Panart 1:78 Vic, OcCre Erebus, Dos Amigos, N. Senora del Pilar, & Coral Vic.

Per favore: Some heads-up before I start with Montanes.
When building my 'Monty', I looked to Garward's build (on 'The Other' forum) for inspiration on 'super detailing', especially the rigging, as I found the bowsprit rigging confusing at first. 'Monty', being my 3rd build in wood, was a great learning curve.

Back