Amateur planking...

If this is your first time, you are doing very well. You face the same challenge as everyone. Curious what ship this is? It has a rather bluff bow and these can be the most difficult to plank. The reason for the stair-stepped, clinker nature of the planks towards the front is because you need to spend more time fairing/sanding the bulkheads and bow support piece so the planks can bend and run flat/true against them. Always lay a test plank before gluing... if the plank does not fit perfectly flat against the bulkhead, you need more fairing. Since this is only the first layer, you can continue as you are and then use filler at the end and sand it smooth. The second layer of planking will be easier.

See this post where I did my Bluenose many years ago. It has a good photo that may help. Good luck.

You should probably also put more taper into the forward end of the planks. This should be shown in the plans depending on what kit you are building...

If this is your first time, you are doing very well. You face the same challenge as everyone. Curious what ship this is? It has a rather bluff bow and these can be the most difficult to plank. The reason for the stair-stepped, clinker nature of the planks towards the front is because you need to spend more time fairing/sanding the bulkheads and bow support piece so the planks can bend and run flat/true against them. Always lay a test plank before gluing... if the plank does not fit perfectly flat against the bulkhead, you need more fairing. Since this is only the first layer, you can continue as you are and then use filler at the end and sand it smooth. The second layer of planking will be easier.

See this post where I did my Bluenose many years ago. It has a good photo that may help. Good luck.

Whew, thanks! I greatly appreciate your advice...I’ve been bending the planks more than fairing-thinking that’s where I’ve gone wrong. I’d like to develop some good habits early in this process.
It’s the ketch Mary Byrne from Modelers Central. When do I begin considering stealers, etc?

When do I begin considering stealers, etc?
You will get different opinions on that question. I look at it from a practical sense... You are double-planking this model. The only purpose of the first layer is to provide a smooth and properly shaped surface to apply the second layer. Stealers are not necessarily needed for the first layer... just get it planked, closed up, coat it with wood filler and sand it out smooth. Save the stealers and fancy planks for the outer layer!!

Others may tell you different as there are probably 5 answers for every question and all of them are correct!!

Sail on..

You will get different opinions on that question. I look at it from a practical sense... You are double-planking this model. The only purpose of the first layer is to provide a smooth and properly shaped surface to apply the second layer. Stealers are not necessarily needed for the first layer... just get it planked, closed up, coat it with wood filler and sand it out smooth. Save the stealers and fancy planks for the outer layer!!

Others may tell you different as there are probably 5 answers for every question and all of them are correct!!

Sail on..
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.
However, I was thinking: what better better area is there to practice correct fairing/planking/stealers than in an unseen one like this, as it would be covered up by the second layer?!
After all, this is my first attempt at building a boat of this nature...
Thanks again!

That Bluenose build is incredible!

If you can research any good photos of the real ship or drawings of lower hull line, they may show you how and where stealers and other fancy planking options are used. Mostly they show how many narrow planks in bow and how wide the stern may be.

If you can research any good photos of the real ship or drawings of lower hull line, they may show you how and where stealers and other fancy planking options are used. Mostly they show how many narrow planks in bow and how wide the stern may be.
Thank you- much to learn here...
And everyone has been a huge help.
I greatly appreciate all of you and your advice!!!

For first time planking adventures I like the “natural lay” approach. Lay down a plank and see how it fits without forcing any up or down (sideways) twist. Just straight and flat (I am not talking about the plank following the curve of the hull...just avoid twisting the plank sideways up or down to force the fit). Many planks will lay down naturally against each other. Eventually the planks will begin to diverge from each other either leaving a space between them or an overlap as they follow the natural curve of the hull. This space or overlap is when you will need to consider stealers, fillers, and trimming of overlaps. Basically allow the plank to lay flat following the curve of the hull without forcing a sideways twist...

Back