AMATI 1/60 HMS BOUNTY

Not happy with the lie of the second whale and how much material I had to remove to fair it so I cut out the bow section and spiled in a new plank. Fits much nicer.

By the way, when I say smile I mean steam and bend the plank on a curved former but also bend it in two planes to mimic a spiled plank as demonstrated with th next plank to go in under the whale. I do have to add additional clamping to assure the plank lies flat the full length of the former.

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

BOUNTY continues slowly as I have received a partially made EURYALUS scratch build: 1:48 scale 36 Gun ship. She's quite the thing but I do want to keep progressing BOUNTY - 25 planks to go one each side.
Have laid the Garboard and first strake on the starboard side so I will be working top down and bottom to a batten line. Tapering, bending and a little edge setting to take place.

Have started tapering the planks now. Four rows below the whale on port and starboard and the garboard and next on the starboard side. I need to smile the planks now but in the basic of a nice piece of pear from which to cut the spine, I am trying out steam bending in both planes, effectively edge setting to fit the bow profile. Instead of seeming the planks flat around the form, I am bending them width wise to, then tapering to form the spiled shape, and finally wetting them and using a soldering iron to form the bend around the bow.

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

Sorry about the lack of movement here team. I have been trying to source pear since cutting down the kits planks I am short about 50% of planking. Pear isn't available in Australia and I have tried a couple of European sources but have had some web issues so I finally had to go to the US (not that there's anything wrong with the US but postage is awful).
Well Modellers Sawmill is going to fix me up with some pear that I can mill down to the sizes I need but I have to wait my turn in the production line. Could be a month or so before I get the timber and can finally finish BOUNTY's hull.

Peter

I am in the process of ordering a new kit which will be the Bounty as it has an Australian association. I am about half way through building the Endeavour as my first build and I am reasonably happy so far. I have been looking at suppliers of the Bounty 1:60 model and it looks like the UK is the best bet at this stage and in particular Premier Models in the UK. The Artesania versions scale produced quite a large model and I have not been happy with some of their materials supplied. I am looking to purchase the Amarti kit as it is a better scale for me. My question is, did you have any problems with your purchase and dealing with Premier Models. Also, how was it sent e.g. mail or other?

Also, have you been happy with the quality of the materials. I know nothing is perfect and there will always be adjustments required.

Bruce
Perth, Western Australia

Bruce
The Amati kit is good. The materials are good also.
Premier is a good supplier though if buying a “special” it usually means they will wait for a minimum order then purchase through Amati so there may be a wait of a month or so.
There is a good YouTube series on this model showing the issues and fixes.

Work has finally recommenced on BOUNTY with the arrival of more pear timber. I purchased 2mm sheets of pear so I could properly spile the bow planks rather than steam bend and force edge set the planks. I have managed 7 planks below the whales fitted in the bent and edge set manner so 8 and below will be undertaken with proper spiling.

IMG_0558.JPG

Back