Another Shipwreck washed up.

That oval treenail intrigues me. Anyone have any idea what that may be for. It seems like a lot of work to make an oval hole when a round one would do for anything I can think of.
Unless it's just camera distortion.

A tribute to the workmanship of the shipwrights prowess that it survived in the condition found....

That oval treenail intrigues me. Anyone have any idea what that may be for. It seems like a lot of work to make an oval hole when a round one would do for anything I can think of.
Like almost every piece of wood, dowels shrink, especially in one direction. The Scandinavians with their Viking ships carefully used the grain of the wood when inserting their dowels, knowing that there was a chance their round dowels would end up oval...

I think the trenails aka trunnels, are ovoid in shape swell to create the firmest grip on the wood once it is wet.

Back