Another Shipwreck washed up.

If you make by hand wooden nails using a adze, drill with 1800 drill by hand you know it’s not done on a pillar drill. The OAPS mainly made these nails. Apprentices also. A lot were cut at top and another wedge piece driven home. Some were dipped for ease / proofing etc … remember ear wax or the fat you dipped the screw in 1st. Then screwed in called tallow. The but joints and others needed oakum / tarn etc… mixtures / processes varied from shipwright to builders yard. Round pegs are not structural good or they would have used a spinner lathe. Sizes were pretty much standard / cut to length were needed. Longer ones were much thicker but copper bolts were used - these were pigs to drive in ( smaller ram pieces inserted to lubricate 1st than hammered but hard copper can fracture or deform I.E. compress. The iron bolts were more substantial but needed coating or timber to be used. The regular maintenance schedules required hammering to hear if ok but usually replaced. Some were rusted 2/3rds through because maintenance or waters were not adhered too (cutting corners). The wooden joints were super and that’s what kept 90% together. The hogging came through displacement via sea motion and loading + wetting. Not all designs were scientific. Anyways, I think Amanda era or James 1st… Just not enough evidence to come to a real conclusion. But very good article! Thank you.

You will forgive me for disagreeing.
In my opinion it is a piece of old dock washed away by some storm. It may be upside down and shows no signs of having been underwater for long. I hope I'm wrong

You will forgive me for disagreeing.
In my opinion it is a piece of old dock washed away by some storm. It may be upside down and shows no signs of having been underwater for long. I hope I'm wrong
I disagree.
No dock would be so well built.
A dock wouldn't have so many trunnels.

For me also interesting is the fact, that all treenails are still fixed into the framing, but the planks disappeared
-> the connection with treenails towards the frames is really strong
Many Thanks for these additional photos

Interesting observations here. I agree that docks would not have been built that heavy back then. With the floors so close together and the planks so heavy sure looks like a boat part to me. Funny thing is I don't see any propeller or shaft to make it go.

Back