Anybody have any experience with Danish oil?

I supply blocks of wood to the local wood turners club so every once in a while I bring a load of wood in exchange for free coffee and donuts.

I asked them about oils they use
most say don't use anything natural like vegetable oil, corn oil, walnut oil or peanut oil, coconut oil. The reason they gave me is these natural oils in time will go rancid because they do not cure

just messing with you

but actually I have seen a warning on things like paint, varnish, finishing oils that say do not take internally. I wonder who would even consider that?
So if I will use this danish oil, and even when it is not rated for food, but I will let it cure for a month, I should be fine?

So if I will use this danish oil, and even when it is not rated for food, but I will let it cure for a month, I should be fine?

Danish oil is a wood finishing oil, often made of tung oil or polymerized linseed oil, although there is no defined formulation so its composition varies among manufacturers. With that in mind i would say yes Danish oil once cured will be fine.

however i suggest doing a little on line research

and that is my disclaimer

so if you get sick don't say well Dave said it's ok.

I would not suggest eating from utensils treated with Danish oil. The Admiral and I operate a business creating custom laser etched cutting boards. All of our boards are are ONLY treated with food safe natural finishes that must be reapplied every so often as the board gets washed. There are plenty of natural food safe products to treat your spoons with. No need to use Danish oil and risk illness.

I would not suggest eating from utensils treated with Danish oil. The Admiral and I operate a business creating custom laser etched cutting boards. All of our boards are are ONLY treated with food safe natural finishes that must be reapplied every so often as the board gets washed. There are plenty of natural food safe products to treat your spoons with. No need to use Danish oil and risk illness.
Will have to find something. Currently I am using only virgin olive oil. Thanks

here is the spec sheet on tried and true Danish oil and it is food safe

olive oil in time will oxidize and go rancid and stink

Attachments

• FBC-TRIED-AND-TRUE-DO_MTR_GHSF_EN.pdf
    467 KB · Views: 2
Dear fellow builders, I would like to buy this oil for boats finishes. Is it any good? View attachment 128556 Any suggestions?
Hi
Have used it many times for deck planking but find wood glue does not stick so once dry it needs scrapping back to apply any item of wood using wood glue. I stopped using it!

Is Tung Oil permanent and stable?

Yes and no... Its stable for a finish on models, stands etc. Items that don't get a lot handling. Items that are used a lot, you'll need to apply additional coats to revive the finish. When I finished my workbench in tung oil over 2 years ago, with 4 coats. I've got some scratches in it but have yet to feel the need of recoating it.

20171024_162202135_iOS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 60’s I had no experience with any finish oils so I bought a small can of all to try including Danish oil. I don’t remember which one was the best but I remember the rugs from one of them was flammable, not instant but when you left them for garbage they will ignite. So try to store used rugs in a metal container and out in the yard.

I used Danish oil on my Roter Lowe and the results were great. Some people have said to steer clear of using oil instead of varnish because oil could be a dust magnet, bu I haven't found that to be the case.

Many options for sure...we sometimes forget that finishing a wood ship model is just like any wood project...large or small. Anyway...I have used Minwax rub on poly semi gloss for my last few models. Dries quickly...good sealing...good sheen depending on what you get (flat, semi, or gloss). Dries hard and nicely sandable for very smooth finish. Oh, even though it is rub on it is also brushable. It is also excellent for adding a finish over painted or stained wood.

I use Clapham's beeswax. Very nice soft product. It covers very well and you only need a small amount. This is sold as a natural salad bowl finish.
When using any of the oils you MUST be aware of spontaneous combustion. The rags will heat up as the oils degrade and will ignite, the process does not take long, be very careful. Soak used rags in water and put them in a an old paint tin with a tight fitting lid. You can also burn them (in a safe manner).

I use Clapham's beeswax. Very nice soft product. It covers very well and you only need a small amount. This is sold as a natural salad bowl finish.
When using any of the oils you MUST be aware of spontaneous combustion. The rags will heat up as the oils degrade and will ignite, the process does not take long, be very careful. Soak used rags in water and put them in a an old paint tin with a tight fitting lid. You can also burn them (in a safe manner).
What do you exactly mean by rags? I think I am translating the world differently as you intended. Could you explain more? Use pictures?

Back