Anyone know when Amati Victory will be available?

Merci beaucoup. Oui c'est dispendieux mais je crois qu'en terme de (coût/nombre d'heures de bricolage) c'est entièrement raisonnable. C'est ce que je dis à ma femme à chaque fois que j'achète un nouveau modèle.

Thank you very much. Yes it's expensive but I believe that in terms of (cost / number of hours of DIY) it's entirely reasonable. This is what I tell my wife every time I buy a new model.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you secretively go to the Other site ( MSW) and search for James H and Victory you will see the extent of the kit. James is building it from anew, photographing everything and hence writing the construction manual. It weighs 20kg, and will be a behemoth. But with the unique way of doing the gun ports and the full 3 deck interior it will be superb. 2022 perhaps? I’m 71 and I’m not sure I’m on this earth long enough to contemplate it!

The gentleman in the previous post said that it will cost around 1300 Euros. For me that is over $2000 Canadian dollars. But I still maintain the argument that you must look at these projects in terms of (cost/hours of torture) lol
3-5 years to complete ,depend on builder

and we will see, if it will be really "only" 1.300 Euros.
Especially after the Brexit realities in 2021, I expect, that this kit will be at the end more expensive..... but let us hope.
At the end it will be between 1 and 2 Euros per hobby-hour

Shame about all the MDF though. At that price, I'd expect quality timber. Just spill a cup of coffee and see what happens. For those with the Alert try leaving a drop or two of water on the rib templates and see what happens.
The weight will be because of the MDF. At least the CC kit is all solid timber and 6mm ply for the POB and its 14Kg.

The strength on the Amati is only from cross joined sections of MDF like a laser cut animal head in cross sections.

Whist Chris W is to be admired for his design effort, the choice for Amati to use MDF at such a high level is not. They have gone MDF with most of their newer kits. Suprised the EU has not banned due to toxicity levels in MDF

3-5 years to complete ,depend

Shame about all the MDF though. At that price, I'd expect quality timber. Just spill a cup of coffee and see what happens. For those with the Alert try leaving a drop or two of water on the rib templates and see what happens.
The weight will be because of the MDF. At least the CC kit is all solid timber and 6mm ply for the POB and its 14Kg.

The strength on the Amati is only from cross joined sections of MDF like a laser cut animal head in cross sections.

Whist Chris W is to be admired for his design effort, the choice for Amati to use MDF at such a high level is not. They have gone MDF with most of their newer kits. Suprised the EU has not banned due to toxicity levels in MDF
Yeah good point I noticed that too. I thought maybe it was because it was only a prototype.

Yeah good point I noticed that too. I thought maybe it was because it was only a prototype.
Many kit mfgs using mdf ,according to @DonRobinson they are not that bad,there are many new type of mdf ,and they are not like used to be,higher quality today

Last edited:
I have the Amati Pegasus partially built which used mdf for the bulkheads and keel former and was very happy with it. A little dusty yes but it was very workable and proved to serve it's purpose very well. If there was a reason not to buy a kit I certainly would not use mdf as that reason, if the mdf parts were going to be seen after completion of the ship that would be a different matter.
As far as being toxic I am not aware of any dust being healthy for us. Is the dust created from sanding plywood healthy? Is anyone aware of the toxicity level of african walnut, which is commonly used for kits, well it is 3 out of 4 stars with 4 being the worst. The majority of dust created from mdf is actual wood not the glues used to make it. I am not defending it's dust or any other as NO dust is good for you
It is commonly mentioned that mdf breaks down when wet, which is true, and plywood does not. Glue is made to make both these products. I would then have to ask which glue is more toxic the one that breaks down in water or the one that does not?
In reality you should always be using some sort of dust protection when doing any sanding of any material, case closed.
As the use of CA glue is often argued so will be the use of mdf. It is something relatively new to us and we just don't like change. o_O

Have a Good One

That kit is certainly looking like the benchmark for Victory kits.
What I don't understand is why allways Victory. I would say go for something different which is not on the market yet like for instance a kit of saint phillipe or hms prince in 1:48.

My thoughts as well Maarten. I would not buy this kit because there's thousands of H.M.S Victory kits throughout the world. The model ship market has been overdone with this ship.
Amati would be better served to offer something else in this scale.

Back