Arctic expedition ship Admiral Tegetthoff 1872 scale 1:20, scale 1:1 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Uwe
Thanks that you posted the video of the build Admiral Tegetthoff 1:20
All the was looking my post about the model can see now the complete build of it. The length of the Video a little over one hour and show all details, too the mechanic of the lift for the ship propeller.

I will post now the building of the ship in scale 1:1

Admiral Tegetthoff Scale 1:1

One day, Adolf and I we was working on the last parts of the rigg for the Model, as the director visited us. He took a look of the model and asked me, if I can only rigg a model, or If I could rigg the ship in scale 1:1. I didn´t mean anything by it, as I answered, naturly, the only diffrence of the two scales are the thikness of the ropes. All parts of the model in scale 1:20 are made in the same way as by the original ship and also the Knots of the rigg are like that of an original ship. A few days later he came again to me and told me, that he want to let the model build in scale 1:1. It should be build in a construction kit system, where all parts of the ship, too the masts and yards with the complete rigg could be parted to be put the in containers, for shipping it in the Arktis. On the original place where the crew must leave the ship, the parts of the ship should be build up again. He need this to show in his docmentary with actors, how the crew acting on original places and on a real ship, to make the story of the expedition as much original as possible. Wow this was a challenge. He told me too, that he want to show the finish 1:20 model by a presentation for the Headman of the Austrian television ORF, to explain him his project and get the permission for building the ship in scale 1:1.
After the okay from the Headman, the director visited me again and we have a drink. He asked me if I have any idea how we can realise this great project. He know an architect what would make a programme for building the ship, but I must help because the architect knows nothing about ships, or how the was built. I told him I would do my best and he can trust me that we build a perfect ship. The original ship was locked in ice, so we must build the model 1:1 without an underwater body, like a waterline model. Therefore I made a plan of a construction how the hull was stable and masts, fully rigged can be lifted up. At first a contruction have to be made on the ground with hinges for the masts. In laying position the fully rigged masts schould be linked up, so they could be erected with ropes. On this construction the frames sholud be build and planked. Than follow the decks and all things on it. In time as the ORF crew worked on the hull, i would make the rigg and sails. After that, the yards fully rigged could be brought to the ship, hoisted up and I could belay all the ropes.
All parts of the model in scale 1:1 was made after the model 1:20 It would take to much time of all work I had, to explane all important things to the different manuel workers, but the following pictures should show how the model was made. The hull was built by the ORF crew and I made the complete rigg and rigging the model. It was finish after three months.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg6a.jpg6b.jpg
Best regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)
will be continued

Wonderful pictures of the built. I have seen the documentary of the Tegethoff- Expedition in TV long time ago. I remember the accuracy of all scenes which was outstanding for TV productions at that time.

Well done, Willi!

Cheers, Alexander

Hi Kkonrath

The ship was parted again and the pieces was brought back to Kärnten (a county of Austria). It was planed to built up the ship again and make a Franz Josef Land museum. But like so often the necessary money came not together. What happend with the ship parts - I don´t know.

Regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)

The model was built in order of the austrian television ORF for a film documentary about the discovery of Franz Josef Land in the arctic, with the ship Admiral Tegetthoff. Named after the hero of the see battle of Lissa 1866 admiral Wilhelm von Tegetthoff.
The Austro - Hungarien expedition had the goal to find a Northeast Passage trough the arctic . The ship was specifically with some specification of Carl Weyprecht (captain of the ship) built for the expedition. It was a three-masted barkentine of 220 tons, with a 100 horsepower steam engine and a crew of 25 man.
Short after the start in July the weather turned and in August the first ice floes come into sight. At the end of August, after the ship had passed the Island Nowaja Semlja the ship was locked in ice and drifted to hitherto unknown arctic regions. The situation was very dangerous, because the ice floes pressed the ship very hard and the crew fear the ship could go down. After one Year on 30. August 1873 the crew saw far away an unknown Island and named it after the austrian emperor Kaiser Franz Josef Land. The ship surrender in the big ice floe landed on the island.
After another Year and the reconnaissance of the island , the captain knows that there was no chance to get the ship free. So he decided to abandon the ship and ordered the crew to put the boats and the rest of food on sled to try find open water. On 14. August 1874 the reached open water and set sail sin direction Nowaja Semlja. The was rescued by a russian fishing ship and come all save at home.
Before I start the building blog I must explain what the director of the film documentary told me and why I should build the model. By the first meeting he told me about the expedition and that the model should show in close ups all the details of the journey. After the shooting the model should be give a museum for remembering of the discovery of Franz Josef Land. I will be his last hope and without a model of the ship, the film documentary had to die. He asked me what i think about and I told him ,- at first I need a big glass of brandy.
To understand this and the reason why, should show pictures of the model, taken from the film documentary and show the things he told me by our first meeting.
Now the pictures of the model 1:20 made by the shooting.

Will be continued with the building blogView attachment 147742View attachment 147744View attachment 147745View attachment 147746View attachment 147747View attachment 147748View attachment 147749View attachment 147750View attachment 147751View attachment 147752View attachment 147753View attachment 147754
Hallo Willi, alias @schifferlbauer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day (and sorry for the relative late wishes
Birthday-Cake

Happy Birthday, Willi! Birthday-Cake Sending you smiles for every moment of your special day. Never forget the past; but look forward to the future, for the best things are yet to come.

The model was built in order of the austrian television ORF for a film documentary about the discovery of Franz Josef Land in the arctic, with the ship Admiral Tegetthoff. Named after the hero of the see battle of Lissa 1866 admiral Wilhelm von Tegetthoff.
The Austro - Hungarien expedition had the goal to find a Northeast Passage trough the arctic . The ship was specifically with some specification of Carl Weyprecht (captain of the ship) built for the expedition. It was a three-masted barkentine of 220 tons, with a 100 horsepower steam engine and a crew of 25 man.
Short after the start in July the weather turned and in August the first ice floes come into sight. At the end of August, after the ship had passed the Island Nowaja Semlja the ship was locked in ice and drifted to hitherto unknown arctic regions. The situation was very dangerous, because the ice floes pressed the ship very hard and the crew fear the ship could go down. After one Year on 30. August 1873 the crew saw far away an unknown Island and named it after the austrian emperor Kaiser Franz Josef Land. The ship surrender in the big ice floe landed on the island.
After another Year and the reconnaissance of the island , the captain knows that there was no chance to get the ship free. So he decided to abandon the ship and ordered the crew to put the boats and the rest of food on sled to try find open water. On 14. August 1874 the reached open water and set sail sin direction Nowaja Semlja. The was rescued by a russian fishing ship and come all save at home.
Before I start the building blog I must explain what the director of the film documentary told me and why I should build the model. By the first meeting he told me about the expedition and that the model should show in close ups all the details of the journey. After the shooting the model should be give a museum for remembering of the discovery of Franz Josef Land. I will be his last hope and without a model of the ship, the film documentary had to die. He asked me what i think about and I told him ,- at first I need a big glass of brandy.
To understand this and the reason why, should show pictures of the model, taken from the film documentary and show the things he told me by our first meeting.
Now the pictures of the model 1:20 made by the shooting.

Will be continued with the building blogView attachment 147742View attachment 147744View attachment 147745View attachment 147746View attachment 147747View attachment 147748View attachment 147749View attachment 147750View attachment 147751View attachment 147752View attachment 147753View attachment 147754
Hallo Willi alias @schifferlbauer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Alles Alles Gute zum Geburtstag - am Donnerstag werden wir dann auf dich anstoßen

Happy Birthday, Willi! Birthday-Cake Ich wünsche dir zu deinem Geburtstag alles Liebe und Gute—verbringe einen wunderschönen Tag im Kreise deiner Lieben.

Happy birthday to you, Willi, verbunden mit den besten Wünschen für das neue Jahr.
Bleib gesund!
Karl I. Malcha

happy Birthday :)Birthday-CakeBeer
Wonderful pictures of the built
This is a life project, I salute you

Back