Aristo-Craft Pinnace Virginia

I have been meaning to start this build thread for some time now , but have been having problems downloading pictures from my camera to my computer. Ever since I installed a Canon printer my Canon camera won't download anymore, so I have to use my wife's computer to download to a memory stick to get them onto mine.
Anyway - enough of my problems. As you can see from the title of this thread I have finally embarked on the building of an old Aristo-Craft kit that I have had on my build shelf for over 30 yrs. I purchased it from a hobby shop after someone had pilfered most of the rigging parts -dead-eyes,blocks etc. - from the box, so I got it really cheap. Over the years I have gathered enough of the missing items to complete this kit. Now that I am retarded - er retired :D I figured it was time to get her done. For those not familiar with this boat, she was the first ship built in the colonies - in Maine - sometime around 1607. Originally double masted, she was converted to the single masted version you see on the picture of the box, after completing two trips to England, for use as a coastal vessel - plying the trade and fishing areas around New England. While the pictures I have right now don't show it I have completed the first layer of planking and planked the deck. I will post the pictures of my progress as soon as I am able to transfer them to my computer. For now here is what I have.IMG_0116.JPGIMG_0117.JPGIMG_0122.JPG

Last edited:
I'm a little bit further along as you can see in the pictures. It's a good thing I have been doing these things for a while. If this had been my first wooden model I probably would have thrown it on the wood pile and burned it. The written instructions were obviously written by someone not entirely familiar with this particular ship, or written for another model entirely. Vague, incomplete, and at some points incomprehensible! At least the plan sheets are mostly complete and they are what I am going by. So as a result progress is slow but is happening. Whoops!!! Darn camera! Will have to wait until I can get to my wife's pc to download my pics again. THought I had the problem solved - apparently not.

Ok, as promised here are a few more pics of my progress on the Virginia. Some of the deck furniture, pin rails etc. installed.
IMG_0147.JPGIMG_0151.JPGIMG_0153.JPG

Am currently adding some of the rigging blocks to the deck areas, and other items necessary to start the rigging, tapering masts etc. So stay tuned as more is on the way - lol.

Back