Artesania Latina 'Sultan'. Arab dhow

Hi there from sunny South Africa .
I've just opened my "Sultan " box this very day and am keen to get going .
I look forward to be following in your slipstream.
I was wondering ...?....after doing a bit of forward reading in the book ......on 2 things ..
1-----------In one of the last models I built ....the Marie Jeanne........I planked the deck prior to mounting it ....seemed to be easier than planking it 'in situ'once the deck has been mounted.
The instructions do say to plank the deck once it's mounted........
2-----------again I plan to cut the deck planks into shorter lengths and to mark the deck planking on its 4 edges with a felt tip pen ....to simulate caulking ....and then to place the shorter planks in a realistic staggered pattern
With the last model I did this to ,I didn't do the 'simulated 'nails ....I'm going to maybe do them with this one .
You just have to be carefull of the graphite from the pencil nails messing up the deck during any sanding ....so ...it may be better to do the nails once all deck fine sanding is over.
What do you think .?
Hi KennyB from wet'n'windy Surrey UK,
Thank you for your message and sorry that I've only just checked SOS forum.
To answer your query I didn't plank the deck at the start and that seems like a good idea of yours but I am where I am now (hull cladding finished, just awaiting a coat of matt varnish, section 7/p.14).
I take on board your thoughts about smudged pencil 'nails'. Not having built a boat before I'll have to don my model making problem solving hat to see if there's an answer.
All the best to you,
Dudley

Hi there..cold windy rainy here now ....ideal modeling weather .
Once I'd re-evaluated the process of removing the bulwark supports ..or upper rib sections ....after one had placed the deck .......I decided to shelve my smart arse ,short cut 'early deck planking ' idea.and to follow the sequence in the book.
I'm now 1/2 way through the rough hull planking and finding some interesting curvature at the bow ...room for either stuffing it up or making it real nice.
Yours looks really good...
Don't be intimidated at the prospect of doing the 'short deck plank method'.....I've really enjoyed the boats I've used this method for.....
You take about 6 of the long deck veneer planking strips at a time and hold them really tight together and quite quickly and softly,,,run a black permanent marker down the edges,then cut all six at once into maybe 40 mm..lengths then mark the cut edges too......be carefull to cut at 90 degrees,
This highlighting of the planks to simulated the caulking .....I find it attractive...
It's worth experimenting with different markers and testing your method to establish that your chosen marker doesn't 'run' with the grain ...or find another marker ......at this point you could mark each cut plank with pencil nail heads..
..however ,a small amount of graphite sanded from the nail heads can leave attractive grain enhancement of the decking veneer ....or it can be ugly .....I've not yet used this graphite nail method for this reason.
However.....just thinking ....
if one completed the sanding of the deck veneer strips prior to marking the edges and cutting it into short pieces...and Only then adding graphite nail marks...prior to planking the deck.....one could avoid this possibility of graphite powder getting sanded out of the nail head markings
I think I'm going to try this !
I initially thought this method of laying lots of short planks would prove tedious and awkward but actually in practice I found it easy .....
I just fiddled about a bit to find a staggered pattern of planking that I liked .......
Happy modeling ...

Hi there..cold windy rainy here now ....ideal modeling weather .
Once I'd re-evaluated the process of removing the bulwark supports ..or upper rib sections ....after one had placed the deck .......I decided to shelve my smart arse ,short cut 'early deck planking ' idea.and to follow the sequence in the book.
I'm now 1/2 way through the rough hull planking and finding some interesting curvature at the bow ...room for either stuffing it up or making it real nice.
Yours looks really good...
Don't be intimidated at the prospect of doing the 'short deck plank method'.....I've really enjoyed the boats I've used this method for.....
You take about 6 of the long deck veneer planking strips at a time and hold them really tight together and quite quickly and softly,,,run a black permanent marker down the edges,then cut all six at once into maybe 40 mm..lengths then mark the cut edges too......be carefull to cut at 90 degrees,
This highlighting of the planks to simulated the caulking .....I find it attractive...
It's worth experimenting with different markers and testing your method to establish that your chosen marker doesn't 'run' with the grain ...or find another marker ......at this point you could mark each cut plank with pencil nail heads..
..however ,a small amount of graphite sanded from the nail heads can leave attractive grain enhancement of the decking veneer ....or it can be ugly .....I've not yet used this graphite nail method for this reason.
However.....just thinking ....
if one completed the sanding of the deck veneer strips prior to marking the edges and cutting it into short pieces...and Only then adding graphite nail marks...prior to planking the deck.....one could avoid this possibility of graphite powder getting sanded out of the nail head markings
I think I'm going to try this !
I initially thought this method of laying lots of short planks would prove tedious and awkward but actually in practice I found it easy .....
I just fiddled about a bit to find a staggered pattern of planking that I liked .......
Happy modeling ...
Hello Kenny,
I like your way of thinking; running a permanent marker along the sides of cut planks. The build on your previous boat confirming for me that this is the way to go.
I'd guess that you don't see dhows in S.African waters? I was in Oman for three months in 1989 and walked around the boatyard in Sur where the dhows were being built, a lovely pervading smell of freshly cut timber and huge home-forged nails.
Best wishes to you,
Dudley

Back