• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Bateau de Lanvéoc in 1:32 from Ancre Plans by JacquesCousteau

I am a bit late t enter your log and catching up, ‘JacquesCousteau’. But I suppose that’s not you real name ……. could not find it in another post.
I do like the way you build up the frames and connect them at the beginning. And the internal lining with the thread is very inventive. But ‘being inventive’ is an advantage when building from scratch. Indeed, bending planks on the old fashion way can be very meditative.
Regards, Peter
 
Thanks, @Peter Voogt ! Yes, this is a rather ridiculous fake name, if I had known how often I would post I maybe would have chosen something different, but a bit late now...

As I worked on the aft inwales, I decided to go ahead and add simple breasthooks at the bow. I forgot to take a photo of making the larger clamp-level one, it was just a slow process of shaping it to fit. I wasn't that concerned with the shape of this one as it will be covered by the foredeck.
20261001_193201(1).jpg

I think the breasthook does make the bow area look a bit better.
20261001_193211(1).jpg

For the upper one, I traced the outline of the shape on a bit of alder to start.
20261001_195117(1).jpg

And then began trimming, especially with a chisel. Although I marked the midline on the aft side, I decided to glue the piece in place before finalizing the shaping, as it was very tricky to file such a small piece when holding it by hand.
20261001_230139(1).jpg

And after shaping:
20261001_231725(1).jpg

I do think it adds to the realism of the build, I imagine they would have had some sort of breasthook on the actual bateaus.

Before I get to the stern breasthooks, though, I have some work to do. I realized that a portion of the starboard clamp is a bit high--under 1/32‐inch, but enough that I would notice it once the aft deck is installed. So, I'm going to see if I can correct it with sanding. If not, I'll have to remove and reshape or redo the clamp.
 
Back
Top