Be Careful - Hazards of Instant CA-Glue

Hi Dear Members
While planking of my new model La Couronne-Corel I used instant CA Glue (for saving bonding time) instead of PVA,Tide Bond and Uhu Hart,which I normally use. It caused extrem nose running and allergic sneezing,allthough I used mask and worked by opened window .After stopping using this glue type all these symptomes disappered. I think the with CA Glue treated parts even after drying should be ventilated for while. Using great amounts at once of that stuff should (imho) be avoided. Only droplet usage diminishes the symptomes.
Healthy Modeling Days for All of You Pirate Flag ;)

The Safety Data Sheet for Super Glue lists three precautionary statements:
  • Avoid breathing vapours
  • Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection
  • Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area

I use 5-minute two-part epoxy now to replace the CA glue. It's slower, of course, but does a very nice job. I recently put copper plates on the bottom of a model using the two-part epoxy and it worked very well.

yep - paper-type masks are only good for dust-type particles and not chemicals - there are chemical-type mask I have used a very long time ago, but they are uncomfortable.
The next BEST thing is that you can buy ODORLESS CA.

I am not sure if this is available in china - but many companies carry this odorless CA glue and yes, it does help a lot.

Hi Dear Members
While planking of my new model La Couronne-Corel I used instant CA Glue (for saving bonding time) instead of PVA,Tide Bond and Uhu Hart,which I normally use. It caused extrem nose running and allergic sneezing,allthough I used mask and worked by opened window .After stopping using this glue type all these symptomes disappered. I think the with CA Glue treated parts even after drying should be ventilated for while. Using great amounts at once of that stuff should (imho) be avoided. Only droplet usage diminishes the symptomes.
I usually just glue my fingers together with it......

I too found out the hard way that CA glue and the accelerator causes respiratory issues. Now I only use the medium or thick CA very sparingly when I just cannot figure out how to clamp pieces together for high tack PVA glue to setup.

Hi Dear Members
I only use CA when bonding stubborn joints. I prefer tite bond or Elmer’s wood glue.

Hello , I have an allergy at CA glue too.
Running nose and after stuffed nose for 2 or 3 days
I bought a chemical mask for this use 3 M with 2 filters type ABEK
Kind regards Daniel

The Safety Data Sheet for Super Glue lists three precautionary statements:
  • Avoid breathing vapours
  • Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection
  • Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area

I use 5-minute two-part epoxy now to replace the CA glue. It's slower, of course, but does a very nice job. I recently put copper plates on the bottom of a model using the two-part epoxy and it worked very well.
Remember that epoxy also has hazards. I always put on nitrile gloves when using it. I knew a boatbuilder (full size boats) who developed a sensitivity and could never use epoxy again, which was difficult. Have fun!

I developed a bad allergy to CA that only got worse over time. You can buy CA glues that are supposed to be non-allergenic. I've found that (a) taking out the nasties in them reduces effectiveness and (b) prolonged use will still cause a reaction.

I found a fantastic substitute--its called G-S Hypo cement and it's been around since the 1930s. It's advertised as "jeweler's glue" and has a fine tip for detail work with a cap that prevents blockages (another problem with CA glue). I'm currently working on the Sovereign of the Seas and the GS glue was been fantastic for attaching the metal bits.

I developed a bad allergy to CA that only got worse over time. You can buy CA glues that are supposed to be non-allergenic. I've found that (a) taking out the nasties in them reduces effectiveness and (b) prolonged use will still cause a reaction.

I found a fantastic substitute--its called G-S Hypo cement and it's been around since the 1930s. It's advertised as "jeweler's glue" and has a fine tip for detail work with a cap that prevents blockages (another problem with CA glue). I'm currently working on the Sovereign of the Seas and the GS glue was been fantastic for attaching the metal bits.
Hi Thomas, I haver never heard of GS Hypo glue. Where do you purchase it?
Are there any drawbacks?

Hi Thomas, I haver never heard of GS Hypo glue. Where do you purchase it?
Are there any drawbacks?
Hi Cobra--

I buy it locally at a jewelers supply shop but it seems to be widely available through Amazon, Temu, etc. I haven't found any drawbacks so far except that it only seems to come in 1/3 oz tubes, but a little goes a long way and the applicator ensures you don't waste any. I've used 3 tubes to do the work on the SoS and you can see from the pic, that's a lot of gluing! It sets fast, is very strong, doesn't stick fingers, low odour. I think you'll find it a huge improvement over CA.

Referring to Titebond II, I'm wondering if they've done something to it to speed up the drying time. The last bottle I bought (last year) seems to dry very fast - no need for CA, I find.

Hi Cobra--

I buy it locally at a jewelers supply shop but it seems to be widely available through Amazon, Temu, etc. I haven't found any drawbacks so far except that it only seems to come in 1/3 oz tubes, but a little goes a long way and the applicator ensures you don't waste any. I've used 3 tubes to do the work on the SoS and you can see from the pic, that's a lot of gluing! It sets fast, is very strong, doesn't stick fingers, low odour. I think you'll find it a huge improvement over CA.
Thanks for the info, Thomas. I’ll give it a try.

Hi Dear Members
Wish I’d read this last week..!! It’d appear I too am allergic to CA bloody stuff laid me up for a week!!! So I’ll be taking note of alternative products from you lovely people…

Remember that epoxy also has hazards. I always put on nitrile gloves when using it. I knew a boatbuilder (full size boats) who developed a sensitivity and could never use epoxy again, which was difficult. Have fun!
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks!

Back