Beginner kit advice

Hi all - will a kit like this be good to get me started? Looks like it comes with plenty of tools, but not sure if any good or not?

My only concern is how small the model is, which makes rigging and details more difficult. Tiny ship models are hard to work on.

The planking bending tool places dents on the inside surface of the plank which collapses the wood fiber there to allow the plank to be bent. That tool has to be used carefully, because if you apply too much pressure, you will chop the plank in two. Also, of you don't press lots of grooves close together, the curved plank has the appearance of several flat segments in a row instead of a smooth curve. Most modelers curve their planks by soaking them in water and applying heat with a hot iron while carefully pressing the wood into a curved form, usually made from a block of wood with a concave curve cut out of it using a bandsaw. That method avoids flat spots in the curved plank.

The price for what you get in this kit seems fair enough.

My only concern is how small the model is, which makes rigging and details more difficult. Tiny ship models are hard to work on.

The planking bending tool places dents on the inside surface of the plank which collapses the wood fiber there to allow the plank to be bent. That tool has to be used carefully, because if you apply too much pressure, you will chop the plank in two. Also, of you don't press lots of grooves close together, the curved plank has the appearance of several flat segments in a row instead of a smooth curve. Most modelers curve their planks by soaking them in water and applying heat with a hot iron while carefully pressing the wood into a curved form, usually made from a block of wood with a concave curve cut out of it using a bandsaw. That method avoids flat spots in the curved plank.

The price for what you get in this kit seems fair enough.
Thank you. I hadn't considered the size making it more challenging. Good heads up.

I'm also looking at this one. I'll need to purchase tools separately of course.

Hello. I'm hardly an experienced modeler but I would vote for the second one (the San Juan). Everything is simpler on that model: the scale, the details (a more 'ordinary' ship/boat), the rigging, etc. What Dave was too modest to mention (by the way it's really cool that he built that ship and was able to share it with you) is that he is a master modeler (as in - his work has been published) and while he was able to build a beautiful model at that scale it's not something everyone can do.

Model Shipways also has some nice entry-level ships though I'm not sure about shipping cost to the UK.

One other thing to consider is to choose a model that is somewhat popular such as the Bluenose from Model Expo. One of the main reasons is there are plenty that have built it and a lot of help around here that have built it (to view their build logs). The schooner has a good instruction book and plans. Plenty of help around here to help you with it. Just enough rigging as to not get frustrated. No cannons to have to rig. Nice size model and easy to work on. Doens't have a lot of deck furniture either. This is my vote. You can also rig her with NO sails too.

1671898644241.png

If you are just beginning and looking for a learning kit experience try a more complete practicum approach. Bob Hunt has beginner kit practicums on his web site you might find interesting. He has an easy teaching style that will help you get started with a successful model ship build. He suggests beginner kits along with a practicum for each. https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/

As a long time builder my advice is don’t choose any kit to build. Run away right now, as fast as you can. Don’t even look at ads for models. For if you do:
You will suffer the same fate as others have, myself included.
The hobby will take over your life. Forget about having time to cut the grass etc.
Forget about having time to take a vacation.
You will wake up in the middle of the night finally figuring out a perplexing problem you had earlier in the day on your model.
Your wife will get aggravated when she calls you to dinner and you show up 15 minutes later with the usual excuse of
“Sorry, had to hold a piece in place until the glue dried”.
I could go on and on as to why you should not take up this hobby but I won’t.

In my opinion this is the greatest hobby in the world. Don’t pay any attention to what I wrote above. Start with your first ship and go on from there. You will see your skills and confidence grow by the day. Select a ship that “grabs” you in some way. Don’t just pick out what others say is good.
And most of all: have FUN!

As a long time builder my advice is don’t choose any kit to build. Run away right now, as fast as you can. Don’t even look at ads for models. For if you do:
You will suffer the same fate as others have, myself included.
The hobby will take over your life. Forget about having time to cut the grass etc.
Forget about having time to take a vacation.
You will wake up in the middle of the night finally figuring out a perplexing problem you had earlier in the day on your model.
Your wife will get aggravated when she calls you to dinner and you show up 15 minutes later with the usual excuse of
I could go on and on as to why you should not take up this hobby but I won’t.

In my opinion this is the greatest hobby in the world. Don’t pay any attention to what I wrote above. Start with your first ship and go on from there. You will see your skills and confidence grow by the day. Select a ship that “grabs” you in some way. Don’t just pick out what others say is good.
And most of all: have FUN!
That's very funny.... but true.

There are lots of good starter kits out there. Model Shipways has a whole line of beginner kits. My first ship was the fishing schooner Benjamin Latham from Model Shipways. Pick something that you like and take your time. I agree with Donnie. I think schooners have fewer complicated steps. Also, their hulls are fairly easy to plank. Most important step is to have fun.

Bill

My advice for what it's worth:
1. Choose a prototype that interests you. If it's not something your are interested in then you are unlikely to finish it.
2. Keep it to a 1 or 2 mast project as this will be less rigging.
3. Keep to a Plank on Bulkhead model as you can achieve a lot quickly.
4. Size also matters: make sure you have the space to work on the model and to put it away when not working on it. Also consider the final size of the model (with bowsprit, masts and yards fitted). You need somewhere for it to go when you have finished it.

Knowing nothing about wooden anything (Mt backgroundc is plastic models) I chose Model Shipways 3 model learning kits.. They build confidence and result in beautiful models. After the lobsyer smack you have the confidence to tackle bigger and more advanced kits

I would recommend something with either 1 or 2 masts to get started. They would be ideal for developing some skills and learning techniques.
Amen to one or two masts. I’ve been building Bluejacket Shipcrafters 3 masted lumber schooner Fannie Gorham for nearly a year. Wood work and painting done a ready for rigging. Haven’t touched it in 4 months. Rigging, ugh! Rigging 3 masts in 1/8” = 1’ — awful. Maybe the depressing, dark winter days and nights will get me off dead center….

HAHA - LOL - I have actually said that before several times !!! The reality is that sometimes, it is true !!

I would suggest "Captain John Smith's Shallop" from Pavel Nikitin. it is a larger scale and there for easer to rig and you are working with larger parts. Very complete kit with scale ropes and lines, sails and even a 3D printed lantern. Good wood is used thought out the kit, Comes with 3 different jigs for setting the frames, planking the hull. When finished it will look a lot better than a small bass wood kit. Not a costly kit (about $130 with shipping to the US) especially when you consider the quality of the model. As for tools you can get by with an Exacto knife, closes pins for clamps. a small sanding block and good sand paper and a set of needle files. For a wood bender you can use a hair curler and soak the wood as described above.

Knowing nothing about wooden anything (Mt backgroundc is plastic models) I chose Model Shipways 3 model learning kits.. They build confidence and result in beautiful models. After the lobsyer smack you have the confidence to tackle bigger and more advanced kits
I highly second this recommendation. I started on a cheaper Amazon kit, got frustrated during planking, found the Model Shipways series on recommendation from several modellers and suddenly began to actually enjoy the hobby. They may be very basic models, but the way the series walks you through the build steps and slowly adds complexity with each kit is a great way to build your skill foundation before even tackling a “beginner” kit like the San Juan or even OcCre Polaris (which is sitting on my shelf for when I finish the shipways series). The attached photo is the first in the shipwright series from Model Shipways, the Grand Banks Dory. I’m only about 75% complete on it currently due to other home projects and family commitments.

Either route you choose, I wish you happy building!!

IMG_2454.jpeg

Here's my Mamoli ENDEAVOUR. It is a nice, relatively simple kit that a beginner may want to try. I actually built this kit with limited tools and space when I was at sea on a six month deployment to East Timor in 1999/2000. I bought it in a hobby shop in Darwin Australia and set myself the goal to have it built by the time I returned home. I made it with a week to spare! I put the crew on it for fun, although they are a little chunky looking.

Endeavour.jpg

Back